Jerry Howell - Super Stirling Fan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard P

Reaction score
I have spent a few months working on my Jerry Howell Super Sterling Engine Fan and I have finally got it running smoothly!

Very pleased with how it is turned out in the end. There is so little energy produced by these engines, getting the tolerances and friction reduction right is absolutely critical and took me quite a while! I kept pretty faithful to the plans throughout but made the displacer rod guide out of cast iron rather than Delrin as I just could not get the alignment and friction to be just right with the Delrin. I also, designed my own flame guard to add a bit more shiny brass to the look of the finished model.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Richard

I have spent a few months working on my Jerry Howell Super Sterling Engine Fan and I have finally got it running smoothly!

Very pleased with how it is turned out in the end. There is so little energy produced by these engines, getting the tolerances and friction reduction right is absolutely critical and took me quite a while! I kept pretty faithful to the plans throughout but made the displacer rod guide out of cast iron rather than Delrin as I just could not get the alignment and friction to be just right with the Delrin. I also, designed my own flame guard to add a bit more shiny brass to the look of the finished model.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Richard
Here are all the pieces before final assembly.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Attachments

• 3.mov
    38.2 MB
Very Nice.

I like the way it runs very smoothly. Also, you have managed to have it look very nice, with some tasteful polished parts.

Congratulations on a runner and thank you for posting.

--ShopShoe

And here is the fan running!
View attachment 140449
Wow Richard, that is really amazing. You have done a fine job. Have you considered making a wooden base with a brass plaque showing off your name and serial number? In my opinion Jerry Howell was a brilliant and very talented engine designer. I'm currently making his v-twin, having had great success making his Farm Boy.
Cheers
Andrew

Very Nice.

I like the way it runs very smoothly. Also, you have managed to have it look very nice, with some tasteful polished parts.

Congratulations on a runner and thank you for posting.

--ShopShoe
Thanks!

Wow Richard, that is really amazing. You have done a fine job. Have you considered making a wooden base with a brass plaque showing off your name and serial number? In my opinion Jerry Howell was a brilliant and very talented engine designer. I'm currently making his v-twin, having had great success making his Farm Boy.
Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks! Yes I like the Jerry Howell plans and approach too. This is my first build from them, but have also purchased the plans for the Vickie Stirling Engine as that looks like another nice display piece. I am following your V-twin build on YouTube and have enjoyed your YT journey over the last few years. Keep up the good work!

Richard

Hi Richard
very nice job i am in the process of building one of these so I hope it looks and runs as nice as yours...what did you use for the displacer piston and power piston material wise?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I think the displacer piston was made from 6082T6 Aluminium bought from 1st Choice Metals. The power piston is a good quality fine graphite rod supplier from Jerry Howell. A bit expensive to get it shipped over with the bearings, but I figured it was worth it to ensure the quality for the job.

Good luck with the build.

Richard

Hi Andrew

I think the displacer piston was made from 6082T6 Aluminium bought from 1st Choice Metals. The power piston is a good quality fine graphite rod supplier from Jerry Howell. A bit expensive to get it shipped over with the bearings, but I figured it was worth it to ensure the quality for the job.

Good luck with the build.

Richard
hi Richard
Progress so far..... probably takes you back to the journey you were on lol

Regards
andrew

Attachments

• 267B1B16-A5E2-4804-BA92-DC5F26BEF7FB.jpeg
    267B1B16-A5E2-4804-BA92-DC5F26BEF7FB.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
So nice and smooth. Impressive. Looks terrific too!

-rgs
Thanks! Needs to be very smooth to run at all, but once everything is just in the right position to avoid any interference it will run pretty fast on a very low flame. A satisfying build and end product!

Latest posts

Back