Jaws for Buck chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just taking a long shot here, but I am looking for a set of outside jaws for my Buck chuck. It is a 6" adjus-tru, 3 jaw chuck model 3634. Nothing on E-Bay and I really don't expect to find them. You never know.

Thanks, John.

Do have a two piece jaw???

Dave

Hi,

I'm just taking a long shot here, but I am looking for a set of outside jaws for my Buck chuck. It is a 6" adjus-tru, 3 jaw chuck model 3634. Nothing on E-Bay and I really don't expect to find them. You never know.

Thanks, John.

No, they are solid jaws. John
That bad news you would need to to manufacture of Chuck.
At time they where after market of Chuck jaws.
In LA the used tooling companies that may have jaws.

Dave

You may be able to make do with soft jaws from Aluminium which you bolt onto the regular jaws. I use them mostly for discs but it should be quite possible to use them for cylindrical parts too. As long as you preload the soft jaws when machining them at the right diameter. For me the right diameter is slightly undersize as this gives you six lines of contact rather than three.

soft jaws bolted on regular jaws.jpg

Please post the dimensions of the jaws
'm width, groove width, height.
I have some unknow jaws.
Tom

I also have a pile of useless (to me) chuck jaws, but need to know what yours look like to compare. (And ebay always has chuck jaws listed, but the same problem, they don't tell you the critical dimensions.)

Also, Buck exists, but being a Hardinge company, you will have to dig deep...

https://www.hardinge.com/workholding/buck-chuck/
John

Try 4 Jaws Combination Independent & Self Centering Manual Lathe Chuck
Great for making a few odd shape parts.

Dave

Hi Tom,

The inside jaws I have measure:
length-2.467
height-1.735
width-.738
groove width-.310

This should be enough information to start. Thanks for looking, John.

Please post photos of Chuck and your other jaws

Dave

Hi Tom,

The inside jaws I have measure:
length-2.467
height-1.735
width-.738
groove width-.310

This should be enough information to start. Thanks for looking, John.

Dave,

This is my Buck chuck #3634 with the ID jaws, John.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 384
It looks well used Chuck
Be for spending money jaws check the scol bearing for wear it should be a clearance of less than 0.0005"
Greater will give chucking problems.

Dave

Dave,

This is my Buck chuck #3634 with the ID jaws, John.

I also have a pile of useless (to me) chuck jaws, but need to know what yours look like to compare. (And ebay always has chuck jaws listed, but the same problem, they don't tell you the critical dimensions.)

Also, Buck exists, but being a Hardinge company, you will have to dig deep...

https://www.hardinge.com/workholding/buck-chuck/
John
I would appreciate some information, I am looking for jaws for what appears to be a six inch six jaw buck chuck. I have the chuck but no jaws. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Hoss

Need to check the clearance of the scroll bearing.
A lot of chucks are worn out and if you have loss scroll your work will not be center.

Dave

I would appreciate some information, I am looking for jaws for what appears to be a six inch six jaw buck chuck. I have the chuck but no jaws. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Hoss

Latest posts

Back