Jan Ridders Vertical Flame Eater

Discussion in 'Finished Projects' started by Fingers, Dec 22, 2010.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2010 #1

Fingers

Fingers

Fingers

Hi everyone and happy Christmas
    I was hoping to get the proper base made before Christmas but I just don't have the time, Here is a little video of it from starting up,There is more info in the thread below.'coming along nicely'
    http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11674.0
    I would love to know how fast it runs, any rough estimates from the experience of fellow builders. I personally could not even hazard a guess. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way.
    Regards jamie
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 22, 2010 #2

Fingers

Fingers

Fingers

Hi Pat
    Il try my best to explain, there is one valve which covers the hole where the flame is sucked in. This is connected by 2 springs to the 2 brass arms you can see in the video, well connected to the flywheel there's a cam and a cam follower on one of the arms. As the flywheel rotates the valve is fully open at the top of the piston stroke. As the flywheel rotates the piston sucks the flame down the cylinder. Just before BDC the valve closses resulting in the hot air cooling and shrinking creating a vacuum which pulls the piston back through the stoke, for the cycle to start again, I hope this makes sense.
    Regards Jamie