Jan Ridder's Pulse Mobile

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomkb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I started Jan Ridder's Pulse Mobile,

Here's what i've got so far.

pulsemobileiw5.jpg

I love that engine! That was the first set of plans I got from him and it will be the engine I build when I get my LTD's done.

His website is Here There are a lot of engines and his plans are Free:O)

Wes

Forgot to mention, Nice job so far KustomKb!!!!

Wes

I have those plans as well. One of the reasons I bought a bunch of pyrex testtubes recently.

Eric

I got my test tubes out. They have a lip around the end that would make it impossible to insert the piston. However, I measures the inside past the lip and I think they are round enough to seal a piston:O) I had worried about that? I think I can grind the lip off with a diamond blade? I'll have to give it a try.

Wes

On your plans what size is the test tube? I have the plans but I can't seem to find the right size.
John

I just ordered some from this place Test tubes They had the 18 X 180 mm tubes for pretty cheep. The lip might need to be ground off though?

Wes

Hi kustomkb, congratulations, very nice job!
All,
If you are fan of the higher speeds I would recommend you using smaller volume test tubes while keeping the same piston size. This of course is not possible with the “thermo-pulse mobile” of Jan, because he uses the test tube as a working cylinder. Separating the working cylinder and the test tube gives many opportunities to play with different test tube sizes, different restrictors sizes and shapes … It also provides better heat insulation between the hot chamber (test tube) and the cold area (piston side). In such a construction the test tube lips might facilitate the assembly See this post: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1171.0
I’ve made several experiments with different test tube sizes. In an earlier version I had 155 x 14 test tube and the engine top speed was ~1000 rpm. Now I use a smaller volume one – 100 x 11, which almost doubled the speed. Now Lamina reaches 1800 rpm.
In my eyes, further improvement would be using a longer and narrower tube, which would better separate the hot and cold areas. Brass pipe can be used for improved heat conduction.
Regards,

Thanks guys, I had a hard time finding the specified test tubes but I was able to get 4 feet of 18mm OD glass from a local scientific glass blower. I thought I could just plug one end. Do you think that might cause any problems?
thanks for the tips, and I like your flywheel in your avatar, PalmRunner.
-Kevin

I would check the inside for roundness? It's probably not round. I tried this a while back and mine wasn't.

Wes

Here is where I am at with this Motor:

pulse_mobile_1.JPG

I teamed up with a buddy at work and we made two of these. They haven't run yet. Everything is to spec. except for the
test tube which I couldn't find. (PowderKeg, I can't see them on that site..)We cut a tube to length and plugged one end to no avail and tried bonding the hemispherical end of one tube to a tube section and that was a no go as well. Any ideas will be appreciated. We may have go to the different size cylinders as PalmRunner suggested.

Thanks,
-Kevin

Looking good so far Kevin. Fraid I can't comment on the test tubes as I haven't built one yet.

Eric

Sorry to mention it, They were discontinued:eek:( I haven't found a source yet. I've been thinking of moding it like Palmrunner mentioned also.

Wes

Kustomkb,
Looking good. You must have read Jan's set up instructions, it just might be one of your settings in relation to his is out slightly. Just looking at this nearly finished one looks like the internal fill is not where it should be, or it just might be an optical illusion.

John

Great looking engine! Only one remark - this engine is a very low power device, max. 100mW. Therefore it is very important to minimize all possible frictions. I cleaned the bearings from the grease and used some light oil. Turning the flywheel by hand it takes quite a long time before it stops.

The engine runs at relatively high speeds, so small leakage is allowed, but it is worth to try this small test: disconnect the piston rod from the flywheel, pull and release the piston - if it oscillates like a spring this means that there are no significant leaks and frictions.

The test tube size influences the top speed, but should not be a reason for the engine not to run. I would put more attention on the restrictor, the design was a little tricky a think.

Regards,
Totyo

thanks, Ill try degreasing the bearings, the piston does bounce like a shock absorber, and the restrictor is just as
the drawing dictates. Bogstandard, by fill do you mean the steel wool? I packed it in 8 cm long and located the flame at the intersection then secured the tube and then rotated the flywheel and piston to push the restrictor into position.
-Kevin

Kevin,
Sorry I can add anything in the way of help as I have no experience in this type of engine. I looks like the flywheel is as friction free as possible and that the damper is "springy" as others have noted. Watching the video I can certainly feel and sympathize with your frustration. I appreciate your sharing the "trials" of getting it to run and will be watching the thread for the comments and suggestions of others. I am sure someone here can provide the help you need so that the next video will be of it running!! Its a very nice looking little engine so hang in there.

Regards,
Bill

I have not tried to make this engine, so I'll make a couple completely uneducated questions/observations--

The flame looks kinda large; is this an engine that likes lots and lots of heat?

also, the video of Jan's, it's spinning around-- that would help cool the far end of the tube-- tried a small fan or some other airflow?

Latest posts

Back