It's Just a Nick

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Here's an pretty insignificant little injury.

ChuckJawTooClose_zpsec606ca6.jpg

I needed to polish the journal on a large shoulder bolt to hand fit it to a fixture yesterday.

Chucking on the head of the bolt with the 3 jaw left the back side of the jaws protruding
about an inch out of the chuck.
AND, I got too close to one of them.
A little closer could have been REALLY BAD!

I know better.
I should have switched the jaws around but I didn't.

Today that knuckle is black and swollen.
I don't think it broken, but it will remind me to not take shortcuts for awhile.

Rick

I'd slap your hand for being so careless... But it appears the bolt already did that.

Wake up !!! be more careful. !!

wood workers would say a little ding in the bark.

I do know the feeling though had a trim router pull a piece out of my hand and trim a fingernail, no cut skin just a very close trim job on the fingernail . Good reflexes by the grace of god or it could have been a finger severely damaged or lost.

Tin

Take precaution.There is no dateline with our projects.

Years back I had my thumb joint dislocated. Wearing cotton woven gloves.drill some hundreds of 1/4 holes,was clearing chips.One strong swarf caught the glove and my thumb went around the drill.The pain was excruciating. Lesson learnt .No Gloves when drilling,turning,milling and shaping.

Q.E.D.

Put some of this stuff on it it will help it heal many brands to choose from

Products249-635x575-43616.jpg
Tin

An idea from a woodworkers catalog that may call attention to the presence of this hazzard is available from Lee Valley. Their version only fits chucks from 3 to 6 inches diameter but you could enlarge ihe idea to fit larger chucks. Not much padding but it will make those protruding jaws more visible.

Their catalog number is 66B20.01
http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=42059
TechInfo.aspx

Latest posts

Back