Its First-Steam-Engine time!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anko

Entusiasta
Reaction score
Hello to all!

I realise that I was spending much time thinking in all the stuff in the "I must make" list (rotary table, dividing head, tool & cutter grinder, measuring tools etc etc..) and I was getting a little stress, and no making chips at all! so I send all to hell, get some plans on the internet and give it a try!

The engine I selected no need a rotary table or indexing cuts (except for the flywell) and I really like the looking, its a vertical single cylinder engine.

I take my time to study the plans, and found some errors in measures and stuff but nothing critical and I make some adjustment to correct them.

get all my money and buy the brass (laton really, but anyways ultra-expensive!)

Finally align my lathe and mini-mill the best I could and go!

8vt5wk.jpg

The plans call for a solid block of 10 mm thick brass for the columns that sustain the cylinder, but too expensive, I decided to make my own columns using a Assembly of sheet brass and then soldering with emmm pewter?? ??? (the stuff to solder circuits) because I don't have silver solder jaja

to be able to solder the column assembly in place I make a jig to put all the pieces together:

16gwvmb.jpg

hra1zd.jpg

ftn9kn.jpg

w2k0uo.jpg

The two parts will be arc-welded, and I make a very emmm messy setup with 1-2-3 block to try to weld the two pieces square

2urnts8.jpg

but don't work very well.......but I will still use it because the error in squareness is tolerable ::)

here is the finished jig:

2dhsolf.jpg

Now I will start with the brass!

303i5q1.jpg

(it will never go where you want to.......)

here is the jig and the 2mm brass sheet in place, now I will made the principal piece

111jxci.jpg

i4ii6s.jpg

292qnnt.jpg

15s0zs4.jpg

wvwrns.jpg

and a little (a lot really) sand paper and got the first column Assembly ready for soldering ;D looking good!

25psay1.jpg

that's all for now, I'm becoming a real model-engine-machinist!! yeah!! 8)

Saludos

Looking great Anko!

Keep it coming, and when in doubt...DO SOMETHING!

The best way for me to get started is just to start cleaning the shop....I usually get side tracked into one project of another...

Dave

thanks for the comments! I'm getting real fun time with this!

I just solder the assembly, I'm waiting for it to cool

some pictures:

Here I'm preparing the solder wire (its not silver solder, just circuit solder)

wir1px.jpg

2zsmgjk.jpg

2uoqjc1.jpg

now that is all in place is time to heat things up! 8)

23i79eq.jpg

Then a little retouch....

15xs2lx.jpg

And the job is done!

29f8d3m.jpg

but is still too hot to touch, now I'm getting prepared to make a sand paper journey!

Saludos!

Anko,
Your solder job looks great, very nice fixture. I use a chisel made of brass to clean up
this type of solder joint. It's hard enough to cut the solder but it doesn't
cut or scratch the brass. Can't wait to see more of this build.

Regards,
Mike

Maverick that just the tip I need!, Im still sanding, trying to clean the solder remanent of the joints, I will try the brass chisel now! :bow: thanks a lot!

Anko, I am enjoying what you have shown us so far. This will be one build to watch. Thanks for the photos of your progress.

BC1
Jim

Thanks jim! that's pretty motivating

the brass chisel works great!, I just finish the first column!, now I will start with the second, the process will be the same, so I will skip the pohos of the second column build

65shzk.jpg

Saludos!

The second column is ready!, because of the experiences gained with the first, this one took me a lot less time and effort to make

here are some pictures of the pair, now Im resting a little before I go to the lathe to start the cylinder parts ;D

2uzxoyb.jpg

23r4q9u.jpg

Looking good 8)

Saludos!

Great looking columns, Anko. Keep the pictures coming.

Kenny

Thanks people for the input!

Now I switched to the lathe, this is the first time I turn a piece of that size of brass (Laton), it took me a while to get the trick on this material, playing with the speed and shape of the cutter I found that the key to a good finish is a rounded and sharp edge on HSS, and 1000 rpm

I made the emm pre-cylinder part??? ??? because I have a great tendency to make a mess with a cut-off operation (always the tool jam and get destroyed and make all the lathe compound to jump 8)) I decided to turn the piece backwards, that way I will get a nice and square contact finish in the upper part that assemblies with the cylinder, and the bottom will be milled to size later.

pics ;D

This is the first try on the brass, a very sharp and pointed cutter... will no make good finish

28amf6w.jpg

Second intent: Round shape cutter, success!

v5h7h2.jpg

At this time this is the most precise piece I ever made :eek:

2ijnkwj.jpg

Now I will start with the bore, is 18mm in diameter and 60 mm in deep, I chose a carbide tiped boring bar to give a try...

muabs3.jpg

1176zva.jpg

but the one that enter in the drilled hole it was too short to cut the 60mm, and the next in size did not enter because of is head was bigger that the bore in that point :mad:

A time ago I made a boring bar of 1/2" that uses a round 8 mm Hss toolbit, but the toolbit was to large and did not enter to the hole, I took off and made one of silver steel (drill rod), then I hardened and try, its was a complete failure!, I resharpen the bit in all the forms I could think but they didnt work

I losse all the day in this process, and because of the diferent tool I use the bore was not straight, and it was imposible to measure! I start to stress, because I dont got a second shot on this piece (lack of material and $$)... I try the micrometer with a pin, telescopig gauge and caliper, al give me diferent values.. :-[

27y4z74.jpg

Then I took my last chance with a indexable boring bar that I dont like, I buy it used in the same time I bought my lathe, I never find the inserts for that bar exept for some used inserts in a big box of used carbide inserts, and all the previus cuts I made with that tool is a suffering of extreme squeal and vibration, and incredible poor finish (that why I made the other boring bar)

I change the tool and WOW!! it saved the day! after two cuts the bore was straigth again and I was able to measure, and it was 17.34 mm !! it wass a relief, the last cut was made with 3 passes at 1000 rpm and I got a very smooth finish, the final diameter was 18.05 mm 8)

was a very stressing experience.... I'm thinking of get a good set of reliable boring bars to avoid this kind of madness again :D

Now a little deburring..

mt2dsi.jpg

2uooy7c.jpg

get to the mini-mill... I have to mill four slots in 90° one respect to the other, because I dont have any indexingtooling I trust my screwless vise to do the job

2iiy44x.jpg

Now I have to mill the bottom to get the piece in dimention, I clamp the piece with two V-bloks to reduce the marks of the clamping force

vpgpad.jpg

amz2vq.jpg

And this is the engine so far 8)

2zrf3ac.jpg

Saludos!

Outstanding Anko!

A good round tip with ZERO top rake works very well as a tool for brass.

Polish the cutting edges with a slip stone and you will cut a mirror surface.

Dave

Great work Anko on your crosshead guide. This going to be a sharp looking engine and an excellent build log. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming.
Brock

Hi Anko

Just wanted to let you know that I find you posting very interresting and I'm looking forward for more.

Thank you very much for sharing

Latest posts

Back