It RUNS Odds & Ends Hit Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick95

Reaction score
Well, after about 8 months of fun building I had success in the first run of my Duclos Odds & Ends hit miss engine. I had some two hours of frustration getting it to run beyond the fuel prime. I walked away knowing I have done something incorrect then it hit me. I installed the needle valve body backwards and the fuel outlet hole was facing the incoming air flow to the carb inlet. What a dummy. After I pulled my head out of my rear end I installed the valve body in the correct orientation and it sprang to life. WOW, To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement. I called my son to the shop with camera and the following video was produced.

http://www.youtube.com/v/YL1l94lULVo&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Now I have to make some gov spring adjustments to slow it down some and then disassemble and clean, paint, polish and make a display...

Hope you enjoy. This project has been a BLAST and all of you guys have made it more enjoyable to share this hobby.

Thanks

BTW the inspiration for this build was Lugnut and Harold lee's builds and videos.

Great build Slick!

Your feeling of excitement is well deserved.
There is a big grin going on here just watching it run.

Congratulation! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Great build and run, Slick95. Congratulations. th_wav
We are all excited. Not as much as you are I am sure, but still very excited.
Gail in NM

Congratulates on you successful build! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I just love the way it sounds!

Please post pictures after you finish up the minor details. I'd like a closer look at the details of this interesting engine.

-MB

Pretty cool the way you can see the engine speed up and slow down via the stroboscopic effect of the filming.

Great engine Slick95.
Thanks for posting.

earl...

Well done and congratulations on a nice build, slick95. :bow: :bow: :bow: Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures when you get her mounted and painted and polished. Love those hit & missers.

Regards,
Rudy

Slick,

Fantastic Man :bow: :bow:

More inspiration for me so :D :D

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice build Slick95. I would play with the springs just to get the rpm down a little. If nothing more than to keep the parts from wearing out so quickly. That little engine sure hums along.
gbritnell

Love it, great sounding little engine and very well done. :bow:

Great looking engine. Congratulations!

Chuck

Sweeeeeet. Looks great and love the way it sounds.

That kind of engine will probably be my first liquid fuel engine. I love how they sound.

Nice job!

Thanks all for your compliments and suggestions :bow:. I got the engine to run much slower with adjustment to the gov mechanism.

Now to take it apart and clean it up for proper display.

Jeff

101_1086.jpg

Nice work Jeff. A great runner!

There is a long screw sticking out of one of the crank bearings. What does it do?

Dean

Nice job!
I have a twin to it setting on my shelve in the shop.
You are right it was a fun build an you have done a great job!

Dean the screw is actually a handle for adjusting the timing.

Again nice job Jeff!

Yup Dean,

Doc has it correct , the handle attaches to the points assembly bracket allowing adjustment while operating. In the picture it appears the handle protrudes from the bearing. Duclos' plans for this engine has the handle facing forward but I thought it would be more cumbersome to adjust.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody.

Jeff

slick95 said:
Yup Dean,
Doc has it correct , the handle attaches to the points assembly bracket allowing adjustment while operating.
Jeff

I see, and thank you. The reason I asked is I have the article for this same engine. I recently went through it trying to decide on my next build, and couldn't remember that thing anywhere!

Dean

I'm getting close now to finishing my Odds and Ends (first IC engine) and I'll add a picture of current status. I'm experimenting with a base to mount the engine on and I'm messing around with some interesting colored wood I brought back from Iraq. Dark purple color and very dense but interestingly it cuts easy. Anyway, I have also modified a box also for a display stand similar to many I have seen here and on the web. I just need to decide how I want to display the engine.

Sure wish I had the patience to file and polish like may of you guys here (IE. George B!) but I can't wait to get started on my next project that my wonderful wife got me for Christmas (Herder 1911 1/4 scale Stove Pipe engine castings).

101_1185.jpg

Jeff

Latest posts

Back