Is this a Stuart 500?

Discussion in 'HMEM Forum Support & Suggestions' started by BillWalton, Feb 7, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 7, 2018 #1

BillWalton

BillWalton

BillWalton

I bought a boiler with the title "Vintage Stuart Turner 500 Babcock Live Steam Boiler Spirit Fired Burner Stationary Engine" on Etsy by the seller CogVintage.
    The boiler has several differences from the other Stuart 500 Boilers I have seen.
    The boiler barrel is slightly shorter, the Steam drying tube (superheater) is reversed, the two top bushings are in a different place and there are only three bushings on the front of the boiler barrel. And lastly the lower front panel fire door opens. I have attached three pictures and the original ad is at:https://www.etsy.com/listing/535400566/vintage-stuart-turner-500-babcock-live?show_sold_out_detail=1
    This is my first post on HMEM.
    Stuart did not think they made it, thought this was long ago. I am satisfied with the purchase and am excited to find out if this was made by Stuart or by a customer.

IMG_3338 20p.jpg

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3344 20p.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Jul 27, 2018 #2

bigal2749

bigal2749

bigal2749

No expert but have collected many of Stuart accessories with a focus on their earliest products and at one time had a 501 boiler that was different then others I have seen. The cast model #501 was in a different spot and bushes on top were in a different order (don't remember in which way they were different).
    The fittings on the face of the boilers appear almost identical in placement which leads me to believe you have an earlier made boiler. Doors opening is a very nice feature (surprising that there is no easy way to check out what's happening in the firebox) that I wish had continued but was most likely a casualty of cost cutting?

3. Jul 28, 2018 #3

deverett

deverett

deverett

deverett HMEM Supporter

Retired
    Another possibility looking at the firehole door is that a previous owner modified the cast door of Stuart's by removing that cast bit and substituting the opening door. Look at the line of solder round the hinges and latch keep.

Dave
    The Emerald Isle