Is Nickel Silver brazing the same as Silver brazing (sic*soldering)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroyO

Reaction score
I haven't silver brazed yet, but I have done good old bronze/brass whatever brazing with the flux covered rods. I was brazing some carbide blanks on when my Oxy tank on my Oxy-Propane brazing torch gave it's last gasp (Like the torch... hate the llittle oxy tanks because they are just compressed Oxy so there isn't much in a tank.)

So, I pulled out some "Nickel silver brazing rods" thinking that silver braze is lower temp and will work with just a MAPP torch.

Nope, No go.

I look it up online and it lists a 1680 degree flow temp... that seems higher than most silver brazing I have heard of.

Anyway... no luck with that so I ordered some regular silver brazing wire and flux and will give that a whirl. I was curious if to add to the confusion of silver solder/silver braze if there is also nickel-silver braze to keep an eye out for, LOL.

I can't help with that, but maybe also look at nickel-bronze gas welding. It's also low-ish temperatures but ends up very strong.

Latest posts

Back