Inverted parting tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi2

Reaction score
Hi Alan,
Yep I got one. Seems to work fine, I've got mine mounted on the front run the lathe in reverse, chuck bolts on so no prob there. Find it better than my previous normal one.....still using slow speeds, still building confidence after a puckering experience with the other one! Still not sure what I did wrong......

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin,

Good to know you like it. What blade width did you go for. I'm thinking of 1.6mm (1/16").

Alan

I would be very careful about snapping a 1/16th blade which was my experience having built the more improved George Thomas tool. I went the whole hog by tilting both tools in the turret and actually grinding a 140 degree vee along the 'top' of the parting tools and the 140 degree 'male' front.

What happens is the turnings come off- as described but are actually narrowed to avoid jamming.

Following George's 'words and music', I found it far more practical to use a worn and therefore rounded narrow angle grinder disk and again, used the a flat front to the tool. It was worked with success on several Myfords and a 9x20 or 918.

I am still awaiting collection of my 'baby' Myford ML10 but it will get a GHT rear turret rather than the somewhat similar cruder( sorry, Eccentric Eng design)

Having said all this, I did buy the plans( booklet) of the Eccentric Engineering Acute Tool Grinder for evaluation. For those who haven't such a tool, I found the design both interesting and probably easier than most other designs for amateur construction.

My thoughts, of course!

Regards

Norman

I have been using one on a 7 x14 lathe for a couple of years now. I love it. I also have the diamond tool holder and find that for this novice it is great.

Barry.

Hi Alan,
I have 2 blades, a 1.0 & 2.0 mm blade, figured for the cost of freight why not! Oh on the freight front I was lucky enough to have the tooling hand delivered! It turned out that when I ordered the owner was coming across to New Zealand to watch a rugby game, & he asked a friend of his who lives local to me to deliver.....how many company's give service like that!
My other style, QCTP blade is 2.5 mm & it's the one I snapped!
I now make very sure that the tool post is square to the chuck using a 1-2-3 block before using the parting blade!
At the same time as I got the parting blade I got the turning tools...had read lots of good things about them, & the style of holder, & given the number of home shop made versions that you see on the forums figured why not. Like Barry said work really well. I'm using them on an Emco V10.

Norman, any chance of some pictures of your setup? I think I have seen it somewhere but aren't 100% sure, oh I agree the 1.0 mm blade is used VERY CAREFULLY,

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin

I might be 'with it' with parting off but I'm a self confessed idiot on photographs.

However, I have a nice scanner and would happily scan the write up and download to your e-mail address. In the meantime, might I suggest that you PM me with the details but you should have a look at the Hemingwaykits site .

Would all this help,please?

Regards

Norman

Just a daft thought but I'll be with some of my lodge in Fiji in June. Last time I was in HK, we were swamped by Ozzies and Kiwis, invading. Could be fun.

S and F

Norman

Ive used the Eccentric parting tool on a mate's 7x12 lathe and it seems to work well. He got a parting blade for it with a strip of carbide along the top surface and uses it to turn grooves in OD of ball bearing races about 50mm diameter. Can't get much tougher duty than that I reckon.

Hi Kerrin,
Thanks for the info - I think I'll go for a 2mm blade.
I had an EMCO V10P lathe which was a little beauty but it got so old and worn I got rid of it and bought a Sieg SC4. Not sure but I suspect I might have been better off spending some money to refurbish the Emco. One of the problems was the gearbox was giving trouble. One of the really good things about the SC4 is the 1kW dc motor and drive. I suppose I could have fitted something similar to the Emco and done away with the gearbox altogether. Ah well - too late now.
Regards,
Alan C.

Hi,

Has anyone tried the inverted parting tool from Eccentric Engineering? ( http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=45 ).
I purchased a diamond tool holder from them and I really like it - probably because I'm not much good at grinding cutters.
I'm interested in the parting tool because it may save me the expense of getting a QCTP for my SC4 lathe.

Regards,
Alan C.

Hi Alan;

I haven't tried a parting tool like that so can't comments. However I can't really see such a tool having an impact on your buying a QCTP. It is pretty easy to put a QCTP to work and never run a cut off operation. Obviously this is a personal thing as some prefer other tool holders and what you are working on is a factor.

In any event rear mounting of cutoff tools isn't uncommon. It will work well as long as the gibs are properly adjusted. The tool can raise the saddles off the ways leading to chatter if there is poor fit up. Of course if that happens that really just means that you lathe needs tuning.

Hi Wizard,
I was looking at a quick change tool post as a means of getting a holder for a parting tool blade. It is necessary to go to a qctp for this as the distance between the bottom of the 4 way tool holder and the centreline of the Sieg SC4 lathe is only 10mm which is too small to fit a standard parting tool holder into it.
Little Machine Shop seems to be the only source of a qctp which is small enough to fit the SC4 although they seem to be out of stock at the moment.
The reason I was looking at an inverted parting tool is I believe that the cutting edge is low for it to be mounted on the 4 way tool post.
Sorry if this isn't clear but it's stinking hot and humid here at the moment which doesn't help with thinking clearly.
Regards,
Alan C.

Which QCTP are you after? If it is the OXA (250-000) one Arceuro in England now stock them.

Barry.

Hi Barry,
Are you using an OXA qctp on your SC4?
According to the Little Machine Shop specs ( http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3048&category= ) there needs to be 3/4" (19.1mm) between the top of the compound slide and the centreline of the lathe. I measure it to be 18mm on my SC4.
One of the reasons I am reluctant to purchase such a small qctp at this stage is that I'm still unsure I'm going to stick with the SC4 until I can get a few projects done with it. I can't do this until I get the mill from Sieg I ordered over 4 months ago. Apparently it is due in New Zealand at the end of next week but I'll believe it when I see it.
Regards,
Alan C.

Alan,

I have OXA but it is on my Real Bull 7 x 14, I do not have a SC4 although I have been looking at them. Mine has a gear reduction unit, made by a friend in Spain, fitted and give me power and torque similar to that of the SC4, which I am happy with.

Prior to fitting the OXA I had the cheaper Seig type made for C3, which I found I had some problems with. Since using the OXA thing have improved and I am very happy with it.

Regards,
Barry

Back