Introduction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Carroll

Reaction score
Hi to all,

My name is Dave and i live in South Africa. I have always been fascinated by working model engines and have been toying with the idea for some time now, of making and building my own one. As i am a Newbie on the site and in the manufacturing of parts for working model engines i may need some suggestions what to start off with. I managed to get hold of plans for a 5 cylinder Forrest Edwards Radial engine but i've got a feeling that i'ts a bit too advanced for my ability and tooling requirements at present.
I currently have a 0.5m bed screw cutting lathe and a smallish milling machine. The mill still needs tooling and a few bits and pieces of equipment, like a rotary table, a tilting bed, an MT 02 collet set and various end cutters etc.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys from this very impressive website.

Regards,
Dave from South Africa.

Welcome Dave.
You have definitely found the right place to ask questions, share your experiences, and just enjoy the collective experiences of fellow modelers. Most here will probably advise that you start with something simpler like a wobbler, or some of the simpler designs of Elmer Verberg. Here is one link to .zip files of all of Elmer's engines.

http://www.davehylands.com/Misc/Elmers-Engines/

There are other projects as well though I don't have those links handy at the moment. I am sure others will chime in though.

Enjoy your time here and jump right in...this is truly the most friendly and supportive forum to be found in the area of model engineering.

Regards,

Bill

Dave,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Members here are more than willing to help so please remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Be safe - if you are not sure ask - even our small hobby machines can give nasty outcomes to both metals and operators if not treated with the respect they will demand.

Above all enjoy our hobby.

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Dave:
lots to learn here read the sticky threads on each section for starters.
Tin

that was supposed to be "Sticky" you do keep me straight, Marv. Corrected now.
Tin

Welcome Dave,

This is the greatest font of information that you can find.

Jack

Dave.

Go forth enjoy, ask questions from all on here. Expand your mind and aim high. Even landing lower than you thought will still be an elevation.

Anthony.

I think as far as tooling goes, you're ready to go! I built my first engine, and now on to my second, without a mill. I have one of those mini lathes, a drill press, some taps and dies, a Primus torch that I use for silver soldering, and various hand tools.

Yo Dave, and Welcome! Betcha can't stop at one! ;)

Hi All,
Ive been scarce (apologies) as i have not yet started with anything quite yet. At the moment i am busy making a living from home restoring classic bikes, as i was retrenched a while ago. My lathe and mill get used for work purposes at present. The odd rebore, sleeve manufacturing, bush making etc. so im getting a lot of practice from my equipment. As soon as things settle down a bit i'd still love to get my teeth into something though. Nice chatting to you guys. Cheers for now.
Dave Carroll

Latest posts

Back