Introduction, Howdy All!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
My name is John and I'm a CNC Machinist by trade - I work at Swagelok in the Valve Division making high pressure fittings and valves, stainless mostly. Incidently I don't use any of their fittings in my model engineering projects as they're just a bit too big!
My shop consists of Lathemaster 9x30 lathe (w/ DRO); Industrial Hobbies manual mill (w/ DRO); South Bend 7" shaper; rotab; dividing head. various and sundry secondary machines such as bench grinder, drill press, filing machine, horiz bandsaw, etc. Most of it crammed into a spare bedroom that has been converted into my shop !!
The design software I use is mainly SolidWorks 2012 and Auto Cad 2011.
My interest in Model Engineering is principally focused on the construction of a 1 1/2" scale three-truck Climax geared Live Steam locomotive of the Reedy design for 7 1/2" gauge track, right now. It is a SUBSTANTIAL project so I try not to get off on too many tangents. It will probably take me six years to build it. After that I would like to build a two or three truck Shay and an American Log Loader (Live Steam, of course).
Secondary interests include scale IC engines (particularly a 1/8 scale Ford Model A engine -to into a 1/8 scale '31 Model A pickup; and a Harley Davidson Panhead) and marine and stationary steam: particularly multi-cylinder both regular and compound.
That's all for now, folks! Thanks!

Last edited:
I've used some Swagelock valves in the past. Good stuff :)
Please do post some pics of your loco build!

Welcome John, you should fit right in here!!!

Bill

John

Welcome to HMEM John. Thanks for the great introduction. What part of the country/world are you located in? We look forward to your participation in the various forums.

It certainly looks like you have most of the equipment needed to have fun making chips.

Cheers :)

Don

Hi John,glad to have you here.
Bill L.

hello from S. Oregon
I would like to hear more about a mini Panhead as I have two full size models.

hello from S. Oregon
I would like to hear more about a mini Panhead as I have two full size models.
When you say models, do you mean actual Panhead engines or working models of engines?

As far as my plans on the Panhead: well, what I'd like to do is build a working 2/5 scale Panhead engine. I've bought some actual '57 Panhead cylinders, cam cover and few smaller parts to measure and scale down from. I couldn't quite afford a lot of other basket case Panhead parts like the crankcase halves, heads etc.... YET. But I plan to in the future, as time and money permits. As far as the real guts to the engine the plan is to start with the Hoglet from Model Engine Builder magazine #10 and make modifications such that I can adapt the scale crankcase halves etc. What would be really helpful is plans for a scale engine. But as of yet I have not found any.
I have some SolidWorks files on a 57 Panhead which are of use- but not quite enough use-- yet!

Now you might know that Ron Colonna has build a scale Pan (1/2 scale, I think) - it's on YouTube; another fellow build a scale Knucklehead that's in the Craftsmanship Museum. But there aren't any scale plans available anywhere from anyone for a Pan - or Shovel or anything else as far as I know. write me back and perhaps we can put our heads together, if you would like. Thanks.

Incidently I've always owned Sportsters -- but I've learned a lot about Pans and Shovels (and to a certain extent, Knuckleheads) just from researching this project !!! Ain't that great ! I have a long way to go I know, but it's a lot of fun!

Last edited:
...What part of the country/world are you located in?.....Don

I'm located in Ohio; I should probably put that in my user profile so it appears in my posts!
Edit: which I just did -- the location shows up now!

Last edited:
I'm located in Ohio; I should probably put that in my user profile so it appears in my posts!

John

ThankYou.gif
It is much appreciated by me and your fellow members. I'll be watching as you start sime of your projects.

Cheers :)

Don

Let me correct my grammer to full size engines. One is in a 61 pan that is currently sale pending and the other is a 48 model that is a basket case. I worked for Harley Davidson when they still had a new Panhead on the floor.
I will be keeping the 48 as I have had it since 68. I have always wanted to put it back to showroom stock so I have been collecting parts as they come by. I have seen the video of the Knuckle running and it is way cool.

Back