Internet Language Translator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
My education is limited to electronics and machining.
I never thought it was necessary to study a second language.

Now many of the sites my searches for model engine information end up
being in a language I don't understand.

AltaVista Babel Fish Translator has become a very good tool for me in that area.

It will translate text or an entire web page.
Now if it would just translate metric to Imperial dimensions.... :D

Rick

That is real cool, Rick.

I have used that before, it makes it easier on the to talk with other people.

Kenny

Yea that's a useful site Rick, but did you know that "babel fish" comes from the book by Douglas Adams, called the hitchhikers guide to the universe (or galaxy, I don't remember), the babel fish was a tiny living fish, which when inserted in your ear ,would connect with your brain and automatically translate any language instantly!, a very very funny and clever book!, there's a series of them, English humour, but well worth a read!, try googling him if your interested....Giles

Hitchiker's guide to the GALAXY, yep came out in the UK at about the same time that James T was stumbling about making his galactical quest getting up the noses of everybody in the known, and unknown universe. Tells the merry tale of a new intergalactic super highway construction which the planet Earth just happens to be in the way of, no problem, just obliterate the obstruction. The ultimate answer was 42! No, you need to read the book to find out what was the question.
Rick, over here in Limey land we had to become bisexual in the mid seventies cos we were told metric was the way we were all going, something to do with the Anglo/French collaboration to make a supersonic jetliner, the one we've just scrapped, so as an engineering designer I became semi fluent in both systems. This worked OK until I moved into electro-mechanical design when I had to go to a combination of both to lay out printed circuit boards using metric spaced but imperial pitched components cos the Bl++dy auto insertion machines we had were made by General instrument over there. Must admit though,they were FAR better than their Japanese counterparts, there were no surface mounts at that time. Ah, those were the days, keep persevering Rick, you'll get there eventually.
Ian

Back