• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Interesting tool bit setter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting and yes would not be hard to make. I like some of the other tools also
Brock

It looks like you have to chuck the tool to use it. This makes it very impractical, IMO. What if you have work you cannot un-chuck? Or your lathe is a collet machine? Who wants to swap out collets all the time?

The easiest gauge, IMO, is a simple round stock piece turned to length, that you place somewhere on the saddle, and the top of the round is at center height. I've used this method for 10 years now and it works fine.

I made one like you describe. I was so happy to get it perfectly on center.

Then I accidently used that piece to make a cylinder for an engine, and never made another.

I personally use a hunk of steel that rests on the bed of the machine as a tool bit setter. It works very well and very quickly. I think that this item is a novelty. I like novelties. I might have to make one just or fun sometime.

I saw something like it before that had a < at the workpiece end. It just nestled the work in the V and that held it centered. I think it was red plastic and not too spendy too.

Like this:
<o

Seems it would be easier to use, no need to unchuck anything. It would be limited to round stuff reaonably centered in the chuck, I suppose.

CoC attached...

If you added an adjuster to the bubble you could set it to your lathe and it wouldn't even neccesarily need to be on true level.

Centering dove.jpg

HI :),
I Personally use a 6" Ruler (I was taught this method by My Boss (Ex Fitter and Turner) . The Flat of the Ruler is simple placed between the Workpiece and the Cutting Tool Point. Enough Pressure is applied onto the Ruler to hold it in Place.
The rest is simple:
1. If the lower section of the Ruler is swinging under the Workpiece then the Toolbit is to low - Raise the Height of the Toolbit until the Ruler is Vertical (straight up and down).
2. If the upper section of the Ruler is swinging over the Workpiece then the Toolbit is to high - Lower the Height of the Toolbit until the Ruler is Vertical (straight up and down).

Here is a Link with some Pics http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1661.0

All The Best Stew

here is a tool bit setter i made a few weeks ago

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

simple and easy to use and easy to make.

chuck

+1 on the 6" rule.

You can always use it against the barrel of the tail stock as well.

was shown that as an apprentice so many years ago that I lose count

Tom R

But does the ruler trick work when you have to mount a boring tool? Plus, if the stock diameter is fairly large, the stock surface doesn't have much of a curvature at the contact location.

Don't get me wrong; whatever works is great. But it's hard to beat a simple device like what Chuck made. It could even be made adjustable with a fine thread device at the top.

Swede said:
But does the ruler trick work when you have to mount a boring tool?

You just trap the ruler on the other side of the stock, ie against the outside of the rear instead of the front side. That's what I do.

Tim

I use the ruler trick except that I use mostly carbide insert tools. So I use a plastic ruler, or more often than not, a piece of old pre-approved credit card they used to send in the mail when money was free.

That is cool!

I just mount up a tool and fuzz across the face on a piece of scrap stock, then
set the tool to the center of what is left. If nothing is left, I set the tool to the
shiny spot in the middle of the face, More or Less.

A OD turning tool cuts best a tad below center.
Boring bars and parting tools cut best a tad above center.

How much is a tad?
I don't know of any mathematical formulas for calculating that, it's trial and error.
Machines, operations and work piece materials are different.

When the tool is at it's perfect height, it cuts clean and quiet.
When it is not at the perfect height, it will tell you!
All you need to do is listen, and adjust to what it wants.

Rick

Latest posts

Back