Interesting American boiler design.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Bird

Reaction score
Hi,

001 PW Boiler tube LR.jpg

002 PW Boiler cutting tube  LR.jpg

003 PW Boiler turning tube  LR.jpg

004 PW Boiler 2 turned tubes  LR.jpg

I am following along but have a few questions Firs up what is it a boiler for? Is it your own design or are you building from your own plan? The workmanship looks great though.

Brock

Hi Brock,

I am following along but have a few questions Firs up what is it a boiler for? Is it your own design or are you building from your own plan?

The boiler isn't my design, it is from some drawings in a 'Popular Mechanics' of 1933. It is part of some drawings for a boat that has a steam power outboard motor. Though it doesn't say so but I think the idea is for a low profile boiler of quite large capacity with a large heating area. The design might also baffle the movement of water in the boiler but this is conjecture so we will see how it turns out. I have made the hull and most of the outboard motor and the bevelled gear for the right angled drive have just arrived from America.

The boiler was finished and tested today. The photographs will follow in the post.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

With the temperature at 26C in the shed it wasn't really a good idea to solder boilers today. But I can afford to loose the weight, so the boiler is finished and tested. It will be pickled over night and finally cleaned up and VHT paint applied tomorrow, then it can then be tried out.

Regards Tony.

022 PW Boiler cutting ends LR.jpg

023 PW Boiler ends fitted LR.jpg

024 PW Boiler end soldered LR.jpg

025 PW Boiler drilling for bush LR.jpg

Great work Tony,you will have that Polly Wog in the water in no time.
Bill L.

Tony, thanks for sharing your build, you showed lots of technique of which I was unaware. I was particularly impressed by your ability to cut a straight line with a jewelers saw :big: Any tips on controlling the saw which in my hands has a mind of its own?

Jan

Hi Jan,

My ability with a jeweller's or piercing saw is possibly due to the fact I worked in the jewellery trade. The following might help you but using the saw a lot is possibly the answer.

First as I expect you know the blade cuts on the back or down stroke.

The saw blades must be of good quality and have an even set if they don't they will cut curves when held straight. The backs of the blades should be curved so that they don't jam easily and are more maneuverable. The ones I use are Swiss and cost about £20 a gross, oddly for a metric country they are wired in dozens twelve to a packet. They do split the packets but cost more. They can be bought from Horological suppliers in the UK I use www.cousinsuk.com who sell Shark and Bergeon I use the Shark they are a little cheaper.

Having got a decent quality blade there are about 14 different tooth pitches, which is important when cutting thin material, a very minimum of two teeth should be in contact with the metal when cutting. I use 0/3 which is fine enough to cut K&S tubing without jumping and 3 for thicker general purpose work. I have a 3" frame for each size as it saves time and after putting a used blade back into the frame they usually break

The saw frame. There are several sizes generally increasing in size in increments of 1" from 3" upwards. When making long cuts start with the smaller frame and go onto the large when necessary. I use a 3",4" and a 6". The larger frames are heavier and have more spring when being used.
Fitting the blade, there is usually a projection at the top of the frame in front of the upper wing nut this is to put into a hole drilled in the front of a bench and makes it easier to put tension on the blade while pushing on the handle and tightening the wing nut. Tension should be as tight as possible the less spring the better.
As often the wing nuts get in the way when using the saw I replace them with nuts that need Allen keys.

Using the saw. When cutting it is a good idea to be sitting down with the work piece at shoulder height. It is a also good idea to clamp the work piece to a peg projecting from the bench. When cutting straight lines the saw is slightly inclined forward and only used vertically when cutting curves or changing direction. When cutting thin sheet clamp or double side tape the work piece to some fairly thin plywood and cutting through both helps to stop the work piece vibrating. When cutting a lot to save having to stop to clear the debray so the guide line can be seen a fish tank air pump connected to a silicon pipe with a weight at its end can be used to do this job. The weighted end of the pipe being directed along the line of cut.

If anyone is still reading this missive what was said at the beginning about using the saw a lot is very important. If anything isn't clear please ask.

Regards Tony.

Great description on the use of the saw Tony!

Thanks!

I've been amazed at what I can do with my saw...it really is one of those "just get it" tools

Dave

Hi,

Well the boiler is out of its pickling over night and it has been tried in the Tadpoles hull. The next is the boilers flame guard I think.

Regards Tony.

033 PW Boiler out of pickle LR.jpg

034 PW Boiler in hull LR.jpg

Hi Tony,Interesting boiler what is the working pressure and how will she be fired?.
Good luck with the rest of the build she is pug ugly in endearing sort of way :big:
Best wishes Frazer

Thanks for the advise Tony, it will give me something to work on. I have some good quality blades but they are apparently better suited to thicker material and I shall have to get some finer ones. We have a good jewelers tool supplier in Perth, I got my Vallorbe files from there and do love them. Machining is fun but so is hand work and when working on a small scale very handy.

Jan

Hi,

Yesterday the flame guard was folded up and the boiler fitted to it. There was no indication how the boiler was to be fitted on the drawing so it was held by two rods going through the hollow stays fitted in the boiler. A base was for the flame guard was also folded up. The next job is to figure out how the boiler assembly is held in the hull again the drawing doesn't show this.

Photographs of making the flame guard follow.

Regards Tony.

035 PW Boiler cutting guard LR.jpg

036 PW Boiler bending guard LR.jpg

037 PW Boiler bending guard LR.jpg

038 PW Boiler and guard  LR.jpg

Hi Frazer,

Interesting boiler what is the working pressure and how will she be fired?

The drawings show no safety valve and as there is no regulator either it relies on the pistons lifting off the port face to release any excess pressure. A safety valve will be fitted in place of the filling plug. She will be gas fired as there really isn't enough height for a wick burner. So it will be either a ceramic or poker burner.

Good luck with the rest of the build she is pug ugly in endearing sort of way.

Difficult to disagree!

Regards Tony.

043 PW Boiler in hull LR.jpg

044 PW Boiler in hull LR.jpg

Back