[Insert Profanity Here]

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Reaction score
So in the last few days I've managed to get a few things done in my workshop. Made a couple of clamps for my 3" precision vise, sorted tooling and such. This evening I set about milling out the excess on the carriage to a SIEG 7x Mini-Lathe to allow 1 inch more travel of the cross slide toward the operator.

Man, this was going great! The cast iron was cutting well. All is looking really sexy and professional like.

I was making a climb cut cleanup pass and something just felt wrong....

The damn end mill pulled it's self down about 1/8" and totally ruined the part and the end mill. :redface2: :Doh: :hDe:

{insert more foul language here}

The thing is I stopped periodically to check and tighten my clamps holding the part to the tooling plate. I did not think to check the collet.

I'd post a pic but I'm not exactly sure where the part landed as I hurled it over the house. :big: :big:

Sorry about your carriage sir. I was milling some excess casting material off of my HF 7 x 10 carriage the other day and was also being very very careful. Still ended up taking off material that I did not want to in the way of the ground surface the cross slide runs on. Luckily I had already had planned to replace the compound assembly with a solid block for my QCTP, so it was a none issue. Very easy could have had my own episode of tossing the part out the door. Hope you can replace the part and be on track quickly.

Well that just stinks, Mike!

I've had it happen twice, both times in the early stages of milling the work piece. I now tighten my collets more than is probably good for them, but I'd rather buy a new $10 collet than ruin a work piece eight hours into the job.

Hope you can salvage something!

Dean

Twmaster

Been there, done that.

Your are not allowed to use foul language AND put items into low earth orbit. You can do one or the other, but not both. th_rulze th_wwp Rof} Rof}

Cheers *beer*

Don

Big lesson learned for sure. Both the carriage and the bit are now scrap. Thankfully the saddle was leftover from my old 7x10 that I have been partingout for the last year or so ever since the motor controller went 'up in smoke'. I was hoping to learn something and then post the part on feebay to get some of my $$$ back.

At least I learned something....

I had no problem at all inserting the appropriate terms Mike.
Rof}

Call it experience?

Rick

I usually just say 'crud!', or something like, "Dean, you're an idiot...", again.
You can use that one, if you like. You don't even have to change the name. I'm used to it.

Dean

I can relate to the same, (end mill) coming loose, then the spicey words are created.

OK, You have forced my hand.

The master of the 7 dirty words is George Carlin.

His opinion....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxR4RpPL1rc&feature=related[/ame]

:shrug:

Rick

So, what I get from this is, when we hit our thumb with a hammer, we should say bleep.
Well, that's not very satisfying, but at least it's not some gutter filth language the little chidrens
will pick up and blurt out in church.

Okay then.

Dean

You are not paying attention Dean.

It's "Muther-Bleep"

Alright, That was out of line on my part AGAIN!
:hDe:

Rick

rake60 said:
Alright, That was out of line on my part AGAIN!
:hDe:

Rick

The way we are going, if we get anymore out of line we will have gone full circle and be back INLINE AGAIN
wow.gif
wow.gif

So..........One more for the Gipper
icon_nosayhearsee.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Nil Carborudum bastardus desperadus.

Never had an endmill pull out of a collet but I have had the quill lock on a Bridgeport slip on more than one occasion. Yeah, kind of ruins the part, endmill and your day. Now I take the time to adjust the quill stop nut.

Rick, that video made me laugh. I feel a little better now.

Perhaps my 3/8" collet is worn out....

mutter .............. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP well that worked ok :redface2: Rof}

Latest posts

Back