Info on holt build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispare

Reaction score
I have searched around and cannot find a build log on one of these. Is there any?
It is a casting from Coles which I have read that there is crankcase difficulties but cannot find anything past that.

Can someone help me out ?
Chris

Hi Chris,
I was certain that I published information when I was building my Holt but in searching I don't see any of it. It's possible that when the site had some problems years ago some of that information went missing.
I can certainly provide you with pictures and information about my build.
gbritnell

If possible I would like to see some of the crankcase maching or all of them. Lol
chris.

I see by the pictures that this fellow made his own patterns and cast his block in two pieces much like I did except that mine was machined from a block of aluminum.
Over the years I had seen a couple of Holt models and thought it to be a very unique and attractive engine. In speaking to a couple of the fellows that built their engines I found out about some of the shortcomings of the design and castings. Having built some of my previous engines from bars stock I ordered the plans from Coles and built my own except for the large flywheel and manifolds, those I purchased from Coles.
As I remember from the drawings you are required to run a file through the windows of the crankcase and smooth out the bearing surfaces to accept the bearings. From the top of the crankcase you drill holes that go down to the bearing surface and provide a hole for the threaded holes that hold the bearings in place. With the bearings mounted the crankcase needs to be set up for line boring through all the bearings.
Attached are pictures of my setup. Although not identical to what the cast block would be the principle is the same. A long boring bar needs to be fabricated, in my case I made a bar with multiple cutters so that I didn't have to travel the lathe carriage as far. For the cast block a bar would be made with one cutter. The crankcase was mounted to a plate on the cross feed of the lathe (compound removed) It was indicated square and then clamped tight.
The boring bar is inserted into the block and mounted in the headstock and supported by a live center on the other end. The cutter is adjusted by miking over the cutter and bar then subtracting the diameter of the bar to obtain the offset.
This is line boring. I can think of no other way to accomplish this job because if you tried to drill and ream through the bearings the tools would wander all over the place and you would get a very crooked hole.
gbritnell

BLOK MACHIN 1.jpg

BLOK MACHIN 2.jpg

BLOK MACHIN 3.jpg

BLOK MACHIN 4.jpg

BLOK MACHIN 5.jpg

BLOK MACHIN 6.jpg

Thanks for the link but after looking the crankcase is a two piece and not made from castings.
The crankcase is where my interest is

Gbritnell could you show how the line boring tool is made?

The setup would be the same as what is shown in my pictures with the bottom half of the crankcase mounted. You would be boring through the whole block.
The boring bar is nothing more than a piece of drill rod shaft with cross drilled hole to accommodate a cutting bit. This could be a small piece of high speed steel (lathe bit) or a cutoff from a piece of carbide end mill shank. I have some small broken carbide end mills that I save for jobs like this. The bit is ground so that the cutting edge is centered on the bar. At right angles to this hole is a small tapped hole for a set screw to hold the bit in place.
It is center drilled on one end to be supported by a live center. It's best to take very small cuts, probably no more than .005 per pass.
I could show you a picture of the bar but it's nothing more than you see in the pictures.
gbritnell

Besides the crankcase is there any other part that is especially difficult to machine?
How many rings are on each piston?

It all depends on your machining abilities. The crank and cam like other multiple cylinder engines requires good machining knowledge of setups and proper tooling.
Are you planning on purchasing castings for this engine?
gbritnell

Chrispare, I think the Holt is one of the most handsome engines out there, and hope you are able to take on this project. I have a thread on another engine building board you may want to look up. I have built 2 of these engines and have a third under my bench about half done. George Britnell is an expert on this engine, and has developed a better carb than the design included in the kit.

If you order the casting kit, I must caution you to make sure ALL of the parts are in stock and will be shipped as a unit.

If you have questions or want to chat contact me at:
www.lonestarengineworks.com

maury

Latest posts

Back