Improvement to mini lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfitsailor

Reaction score
I bought this lathe new over ten years ago, but hardly use it since getting a Logan last year. The one thing I have always hated about this mini lathe are the cheap plastic handwheels. After a long internet search I settled for these chromed cast iron wheels from Amazon. The holes were too big, so I bored them, pressed a piece of brass pipe inside, then bored to fit the shafts. I drilled and tapped the hubs to reuse the old set screws, then painted the wheels to match the lathe. (the lathe was yellow, which I could also live without, so a couple of weeks ago I painted it Logan grey.)

thumb2_p1030905-1019.jpg

thumb2_p1030902-1020.jpg

thumb2_p1030904-1021.jpg

thumb2_p1030911-1023.jpg

Last edited:
The chromed cast iron hand wheels look really nice. I did something similar but could not find any hand wheels in a smaller size like what you found on Amazon. I will check this out and thanks for the source. I purchased from Enco.com and all they had was the larger handles. I also purchased the revolving handles with a 10-32 thread that go with the hand wheels. Please see the attached photo. FYI - the Hall Effect tachometer was a $15 eBay Buy-it-Now purchase (see http://www.homemadetools.net/mini-lathe-digital-tachometer) and a really easy installation on the 7" mini lathe.

20141028_203139.jpg

I settled for 3.2" handwheels, a little smaller than the original. I was worried that 4" wheels would be too big.

Misfit,
If I could make a suggestion if you think you are up to it and also if you have a mill.

The best time and effort investment you can make to a mini lathe is to fit tapered gibs.

I did one a few years ago for a friend and transformed it from a bent and banana shaped basic lathe to one that was superbly accurate and smooth operating.

The text is still on a website where I showed it, but the pictures aren't there any more, but I do still have in archive all the pictures that went with the article if you really want to have a go.

John

Hello

Sieg produce an upgrade kit for the C3 type lathes, these are available from some of the dealers that supply the lathes, such as Arceurotrade here in the uk.

This kit includes nicely made replacement metal handwheels and levers plus, I think, other parts that I can't quite recall. They should fit straight on most of the C3 type machines.

Latest posts

Back