Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I built the original as a proof of concept and to confound the curious :-
COMPOSITE.JPG

I have exhibited this every year at our local modeling club as a curiosity.
However it's always been pug-ugly and I figured I needed to tart it up some.
improb1.jpg

Top Left - Beginning to look old.
Top Right - I normally use an old turntable as a flywheel - even more ugly.
so I figured I would give it a flywheel and a presentation base.

Unfortunately every time I looked at it I was remined of the old adage that you can't put lipstick on a pig - so I set about giving it a facelift as well as adding a few new confounding wrinkles :-

improb2.jpg

So now the whole thing rotates vertically, can be reversed by changing the "timing" on the ball bearing and the addition of a pair of black granite gears (water-jet cut) which I jest are from Fred Flintstone's car.

A short video of it running.

Note: What makes it "improbable" is that the pistons go up and down twice per revolution - so its not a simple eccentric mechanism.
Imp2-Model.jpg

If you've seen it before keep it under wraps while others have a go at figuring out how the thing works. Regards, Ken I

Last edited:

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Stan, I'm glad someone has finally commented.

Here's a slo-mo of the business end - note the stub ends of the levers are moving in and out twice per revolution (see gap between lever and clearance holes in the plate)
Clue the low points are opposite the keyslot in the hub and the high points at 90° from that. (under the forward/reverse timing lever & opposite).

That said its still near impossible to figure out what's going on.
In its prior configuration this was somewhat easier to see when the shaft turned and the body and levers stood still.
You can cheat by going to the orignal post of 11 years back.
I get asked "what practical purpose does it have" - none really, I don't do practical, I prefer oddball engines. and this is probaly the odest motor I've ever built.

Regards, Ken I

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you kindly! Never having played with the mechanism you used I can say there is no way I would have figured it out on my own.

Very clever gizmo you created there!

I like your approach to doing things for the heck of it, it's a lot more fun to do something just because it pleases you that to do something that just has to be done. Now that I'm retired I'm doing my best to enjoy my third and final childhood :) Second was called "being such a good dad", only my wife caught on that I was just having fun and enjoying taking the kids along for the ride!

Cheers,
Stan