Imperial R8 Collet sets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
When I purchased my mill last year it came with all metric end mills & collets.
I now need to get some imperial R8 Collets. No problem getting imperial end mills locally but not the R8 Collets.
Can somebody suggest an Australian supplier.
Kpar

You don't need to buy another set of collets because your metric set should cover all sizes through the range ie. 1-2mm, 2-3mm, 3-4mm, 4-5mm, etc, etc, up to whatever is your largest size is (mine is 20mm) therefor you have all imperial sizes up to 3/4" covered.

I'm not sure this is true as the collets need to be ER (Extended Range) to cover metric and imperial. R8 collets are size specific in my experience.

The good news is that R8 collets should be easily available on the used market as most guys switch to ER.

I use an ER32 x R8 collet chuck most of the time. It covers both metric and imperial sizes within its capacity.

Thanks all I will follow up on suggestions. Yes I did find imperial will not fit R8 collets so maybe getting a set of ER's is an option.
Kpar

Thanks all I will follow up on suggestions. Yes I did find imperial will not fit R8 collets so maybe getting a set of ER's is an option.
Kpar

Not sure what this means. My mill is R8 and I work with imperial stock all the time. These collets can hold several thou smaller, but should not be used with anything larger than the stated size.

Not sure what this means. My mill is R8 and I work with imperial stock all the time

You don't need to buy another set of collets because your metric set should cover all sizes through the range ie. 1-2mm, 2-3mm, 3-4mm, 4-5mm, etc, etc, up to whatever is your largest size is (mine is 20mm) therefor you have all imperial sizes up to 3/4" covered.

#3 got their ER & R8 mixed up

Kpar,

Before you go searching out a set of ER collets.

I made the same mistake many years ago. I invariably now use metric and imperial spindle collets since then. ER's have a fatal flaw when used on fairly small milling machines, even though mine is a small Bridgy clone, you lose too much throat depth (around 2" to 3"), this can sometimes mean you just can't do the job as you can't regain that throat depth. Spindle collets allow the maximum you can get under the end of your spindle mounted cutter.

I found that the two sets of spindle collets (met & Imp) came to the same price as a good set of ER 32 ones.

rack.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I still use the ER system (3 different size systems), but mainly on my lathe or table mounted tooling, but never for holding cutters in the mill.

John

Last edited:
Agreed that spindle collets save space but for my J Head mill an ER set would be nice for 90% of my needs. The R8 spindle collets force me to reach high to brake and release the collet and although the extra stretching exercise may seem like a bonus, it's not. I now have a small platform to make this task easier.

This is maybe getting off topic but the best solution would be an ER set plus a spindle set of collets in every dimension available.

I have found that the R8/er32 collet set does everything i want
I also bought a few R8 collets that i use when i have height restrictions

Latest posts

Back