I'm in. This is fantastic.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An empty room...Feb 12, 2009...the very very beginning...I've never used a lathe or mill before now.

IMG_0002.jpg

Useless benches...for now.

IMG_0010.jpg

Central control...well...central something...there's no control.

IMG_0074.jpg

The lathe.

IMG_0075.jpg

The mill.

IMG_0077.jpg

Machinist jacks...not the first project...the 2nd...the first attempt will never be talked about.

IMG_0045.jpg

So who doesn't make a mallet?...Don't look too close...it ain't 90 degree.

IMG_0050.jpg

Machinist clamp. You can't see the boo-boos...but I can. Need/want to blacken.

IMG_0073.jpg

First engine. It doesn't work. For one thing...no piston head. For 2nd, 3rd, 4th...everything is wrong wrong wrong. But I enjoyed it...and learned a lot. You can even see it's incomplete...missing two screws on top...didn't take the flash off...and don't look too close at the feet. I've discussed the flywheels elsewhere in the forum. Nuff said.

IMG_0065.jpg

I mainly put this up for the newbies out there, who like me, feel shy about their inexperience and don't want to say anything yet. Ask away...these people are great.

Nah. I want to brag even though I have nothing to brag about. Like I said before...I went into this knowing this is what I want to do. Many of you will see the errors of my ways and have many suggestions on my workshop. There's several things I'd like to do different. But I'm having fun, and learning, and will make changes as I go along.

Now...having said all that...will my pictures actually post? This could be very embarrassing.

Well that didn't work. Crap.
Try try again.
Sorry folks.

No...that doesn't work either.

How do you post a picture? I tried following instructions...like find the url and press the button 'img'.

Okay...where do you find the 'url' and where the heck is the button 'img'? I see my pictures on photobucket. How do I get them here.

I need specific step-by-step instructions. I may be a programmer...but I'm an old programmer.

Zeeprogrammer... I fixed your pictures for you. You have to delete the "?action-view&current=" from the link for it to work.

Chuck

Zee all that matters is that you are making parts and learning. Just think about how much more you know about this game then you did on Feb. 12. You'll have a running engine soon.

Nice little shop, and your first projects look great, youre learning quick, well done!

Hiya Z', nicely done. All's you need now is a toilet and a bedroll and your all set to go for those "you're spending way too much time down there" evenings. ;D I am sure that with just a bit of tweaking you'll have that engine running. Looks good so far and I do like the jacks and clamp. They just look 'righteous'. Have a go at heating them up to a dull red and dropping them in oil for a quick black finish, although now that I think about it, some of the cold gun blueing solutions would be easier and cleaner. Keep after it, I enjoy seeing work that is not over-the-moon in complexity, although I can appreciate it, the simpler things are just as appealing if not more to me. Of course I am kind of simple myself so I guess it is true that simple is as simple does. Rof}

BC1

bearcar1 said:
All's you need now is a toilet and a bedroll and your all set to go for those "you're spending way too much time down there" evenings.

And don't forget the fridge fulla your favorite beverage !!! :D

Thank you all. Very much appreciated. This really means a lot.

I didn't show you pics of what's behind me...a fridge...and a wine rack.
There's room on the other side for a cot. I thought about a microwave.
Don't need a shower 'cept on Saturday and I have to get out for provisions anyway.
It would be a massive understaking to install a toilet. I may just have to make do or let the 'slam bang' of equipment do it for me.

All of which will change once wifey is home for good from her stint in Europe. Especially the showers.

I was actually surprised that it's been only two months. But I'm lucky (for now)...with kids grown and wifey gone for a little while...aside from my daytime job...I get to play and play and play. :big:

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Someday I'll forget what I didn't know. A happy day.

You've got a nice little shop set up there. Your first projects look really good, take your time and enjoy the process.
I like the idea of the magnifier lamp on a mobile base much more versatile than mounted permanently in one place. I'm thinking I'm going to build myself a base like that for mine.
Regards,
Ernie J

Loving the process and everything else related to this.
Thanks for the support.

The roll-around mag light is nice...have to be watchful for parallax.
Also useful for taking pictures.
I also need/want to attach some plexi in front...thinking it might be easier to clean...I get a lot of coolant or cutting oil thrown on it.
It's only two months old and I adjust it a lot while I work...wondering how long it will last before...wait...I'm learning to be a machinist...I should be able to fix whatever happens...right? I got it through amazon for $130.

Carl

Zee in Photobucket just click in the box I have highlighted and it should copy to your clipboard and then just paste that in your post

Capture.jpg

like this:

Capture-1.jpg

Took me few tries to figure it out also....just one ole programmer helping another.:)))

Oh yea I forgot to add thanks for sharing your adventure it brought back memories of where I was a little over 6 years ago and sure has me smiling.

Thanks Bob. Thanks a lot.
If I made someone smile...I contributed...and that means a lot to me.

First video. If this doesn't work...maybe the video fairy will come by and help. Many thanks to the picture fairy that helped me earlier.

First engine! Sorry...MY first engine. It runs!!! A simple (from casting kit) #2A oscillating model. Started my shop Feb 12 and sometime after that I cut my first metal ever. Look closely and you can tell. Well not too closely.

No 'nice job' please. It's not. No 'good lookin' please. It's not.
An 'attaboy' is more than sufficient. Pardon me while I pat myself. I was taught in school (electronics/software)...when it works...jump up on the table and yell 'woo hoo!'. I can't jump nowadays...but I can still 'woo hoo'.

Wouldn't have happened without all of the help from the great people on this forum. (Well yeah...it would've happened...just not now).

Thanks all. Can't wait for the next kit to arrive (first job is learning the skills...then maybe someday I can make something close to the great stuff I see on this site).

Okay. Did a preview. I can get to the vid but I was hoping it would appear as a frame clip rather than a link. Is it because it's photobucket? Help me video fairy. You're my only hope.

Congrats Zee. You have a running engine and that's all that matters. Thm: Thm: You've come a long way since feb. While you wait for the next kit, why not try building an engine from bar stock? There are oscillator plans out there and if you are not happy with how a particular part comes out, make another one.

Zee

As requested, one attaboy. By the way, nice engine! Always nice to see a runner, and my first one was not so long ago that I've forgotten the feeling of accomplishment. Guess it's too late to warn you that this hobby is EXTREMELY addictive! Looking forward to your next one.

Cheers, Joe

zeeprogrammer said:
I can't jump nowadays...but I can still 'woo hoo'.

Its runs, you took some hunks of metal and made it happen, thats a good thing. Bad thing is explaining to the 'other' why the screen door still rattles :)

I just spent 'round 12 hours making one little piece that could be done in 20 minutes if I knew what i was doing. At the "make it harder than it really is" stage of the learning curve.

Keep at it, chip that metal, and ah . . . Good Job!

Hey Zee,
Nice Job congrats At A Boy th_wav. You have come a long way since Feb. and by the looks of it you'll be going a long way too ;D. What's the next kit? The bar stock idea isn't a bad one. You'll get to learn some layout. Got to get the Dykem ( red or blue scratch.gif) and a scribe now. Here is my second engine, even has a whistle :big:

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2343&category=-1650262225
$8 for the plans and about $30 in material, nice little build!

At A Boy Thm:
Tony

Latest posts

Back