I'm in. This is fantastic.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
After years of looking for a hobby I settled on home machining. It's amazing how well it relates to my interests and my experiences. You can't imagine how excited I am...and how excited I am to have found this site. It looks great!

I'm a newbie obviously. I've spent the last several weeks putting together my workshop (mini lathe and mill). Now I'm experimenting...learning how to break things, burn myself, and what all of these cool tools are capable of. What I'm trying to do is learn how to adjust the lathe and mill to get good cuts. Until the tools are right I can't expect to make anything I'm proud of. Taking it slow.

On a more personal note...born in the Midwest, spent my wonder years in Europe, schooled in the Midwest and now I'm outside Philadelphia in West Chester working as a software engineer. You can't see the 1's and 0's. Time to get some dirt under the fingernails.

Hello, zeeprogrammer, welcome to HMEM.

Chuck

Welcome to HMEM zeeprogrammer

Rick

Welcome to the club!

I used to work out in your area. Still live fairly close (right over the border in NJ).

Eric

Zeeprogrammer,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome. This is a great hobby. I went to collage on the Main Line; I love that area outside Philly.

Yesterday was discouraging. Dulled my bandsaw, couldn't cut a thread, can't measure right, and broke a nail. Which of the smiley faces is sad? Don't want to use angry dude.

You all are keeping me motivated...fascinating stuff...but I need some help. I see some videos of parts being made...but precious few of people actually working the machine. Saw the video of...sorry...can't remember the name...but it's the lapping video of the work in progress...great stuff that...it's what I need. Seeing a part being made is one thing...seeing a person making the part tells the story.

I'm struggling to adjust my new machines. What is it supposed to look like/feel like to turn the handles? Been searching...any info out there showing how to set up and adjust a mini-lathe?

As I'm often reminded at work... you don't remember what you didn't know.

Thanks.

zeeprogrammer said:
Yesterday was discouraging. Dulled my bandsaw, couldn't cut a thread, can't measure right, and broke a nail. Which of the smiley faces is sad? Don't want to use angry dude.

You all are keeping me motivated...fascinating stuff...but I need some help. I see some videos of parts being made...but precious few of people actually working the machine. Saw the video of...sorry...can't remember the name...but it's the lapping video of the work in progress...great stuff that...it's what I need. Seeing a part being made is one thing...seeing a person making the part tells the story.

I'm struggling to adjust my new machines. What is it supposed to look like/feel like to turn the handles? Been searching...any info out there showing how to set up and adjust a mini-lathe?

As I'm often reminded at work... you don't remember what you didn't know.

Thanks.
I know where you're at... I was there not too long ago. I did a lot of trial and error, making pieces of aluminum... smaller. My early attempts look like they were gnawed out by rats..

There's a bunch of videos at the MIT site and some others from South Bend. The downside is they tend to show bigger machines than the mini-lathe. Smartflix has a few on building one thing or another that might be useable-- some of those use 6" Atlas lathes or the like. If you can find somebody or a club or class nearby that would be good too.

The thing that irked me most when learning metal work (as an ex-programmer) was the metal didn't always do what it was told.. actually most of the time it doesn't, especially on small machines. If you want a piece 1.00", you can't just set the dials to 1.00" and crank away... you have to sneak up on it a little, and what worked last time won't always work this time.. Eventually you get the hang of it, but in the mean time just get in there and make some chips.

A few things maybe worth pointing out.

You mentioned dulling your bandsaw blade. It's good to get in the habit of checking your speed/feed before starting to cut. It only takes a few seconds to figure it out, a few more to set the machine. I'm guilty of "eyeballing" sometimes and it's surprising how far off you can be.

Any machine tool has it's own personality. Your machine is different that the one that was built before it, and the one after. You get the feel for it in time, as well as the sounds it makes when it's cutting right.

It is easier when someone can show you how to get started, and it may be helpful to you to look into the mechanics of cutting tools. If you know a little about the material you're working with and how a tool cuts, you will have an easier time.

Also, "sneaking up" on a dimension is common practice. Machine rigidity, workpiece material, tool material, etc., all have an influence on your workpiece. You can get some of the variables out of the way before you start cutting, but others you deal with as you go along. It's just one of the things that keeps it interesting.

I was told a good many years ago that the easiest thing you could ever make in a machine shop would be a mistake.

Kevin

Thanks all. I knew this was a good place for help and encouragement.

I'll be looking but does anyone know of any clubs or classes in the West Chester PA area?

Hang in there. We all go through this, especially if it is outside of your professional realm.

For your lathe:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/MiniLatheUsersGuide.pdf

For your mill:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/MiniMillUsersGuide.pdf

Some useful info:
http://its.fvtc.edu/MachShop2/Default.htm

I posted this the other day as part of a welcome for someone else:
"The trick with this hobby is perseverance and acceptance of failure. Learn from your mistakes, ask questions and continue to make chips. This is a great hobby with great satisfactions when you build a working engine."

You have pointed out that it would be a big help to see it done. I agree. and I think you can do that. Once you find your way to a good machinist, toolmaker, moldmaker, or whatever most are happy to share there knowledge. Some suggestions. Work your network. You are a software engineer, That software must go into something. talk to the mechanical designers or engineers, they will know the good shops and the good guys. Also let it be known around your church. My best resource is a 80 something guy from church who can tricks with a lathe and mill and delights in showing me how.

Another road in is the Parallel Hobbies. You aren't to far from Kinzers PA That is the home of the "Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association"
http://www.roughandtumble.org/

Stop by any of there shows and I guarantee you will meet people who know this hobby.
Also you can check out
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/calendar.php?c=1
for similar shows.

Frank

Welcome to the forum, when you join you suddenly have many friends who can help. Good luck, its a great way to go.....

Welcome Zee,

Frank is right about Kinzers. I and others on this forum go to most of the shows there. There are some really knowledgeable folks there and so far they haven't thrown me out for asking too many questions. :big:

I was where you're at a few years ago. Some say I've progressed. If I have it's been mostly by asking questions, then trying stuff out. I always err on the side of caution. ;)

Spring Steamup is in May, drop by if you can. I live in Lancaster.

Cheers,
Phil

Oh yeah. Not to worry. I'm nowhere near giving up. As I said...I spent years looking for a hobby and this one fits all my needs and more. And what a great group! Thanks for the encouragement and great advice.

Yes there's a few mechies here. But they're mainly PC jocks. Actually not surprising. Even though I enjoy writing software...I don't want to do it all day long. That's why my needs included 'challenging' and 'learning something different'.

The joke is that someday I'd like to convert my machines to CNC. Then I'm back to programming. Ha.

There is one guy here that's been a big help. Funny thing. He's also a software engineer.

Anyway...thanks again. I will certainly follow up on your all's advice.

Got some more replies while writing this. Thanks. Might be difficult for May but we'll see. Hard choice...new hobby versus wife. She's been out of the country and we're getting together then. Actually...easy choice...it's wife.

Oh happy day...er, evening. Faced, turned, and tapered a piece of aluminum. Smooooooth.

"the eternal struggle takes time"

Enjoying reading the forum. What a great crowd.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Managed to make my first thread. It looks bad but the nut goes on.

Speaking of the nut going on...decided to come off my 'success' and learn some more about the mill...so here are my instructions...

1) Measure twice to avoid drilling into the mill's table.
2) Use scrap under the part to avoid drilling into the mill's table.
3) Use stops to avoid drilling into the mill's table.
4) Measure again to avoid drilling into the mill's table.
5) Drill into the mill's table.
6) Move the spindle to a new position.
7) Repeat step 5.

Wait. Wait. Skip steps 5 through 7. Crap.

Going to change 'To work. To work' (a quote from one of my favorite movies) to something else...'To practice. To practice'? 'To make crap. To make crap'?

When/if I can be half as good as you all are...wow.

I've been reading the forum everyday. Great inspiration. Really keeps me going.

Back