Igauge scales

Help Support HMEM:

kwoodhands

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
136
Reaction score
29
Location
mays landing NJ.
I recently installed new I gauging DRO's on the lathe and mill.
The lathe went without a hitch the 24" scale was used on the X axis. The Z axis already had the scale installed.
The mill had the Z axis already installed. I then installed the X axis first. The display was all over the place. I re-read the directions. It said to wipe the scale clean and dry.
Did this , 3 separate times and still got wacko readings.
However the scale I used was the original scale with the old battery type displays. When I bought the kit it came with 6",12" and 24" scales. Still needed another 24" scale and that is why I used the old one that did work before installing the new read head and display. I cleaned the scale 3 times, used WD-40 on the third try. Same poor results. Removed the scale for the fourth time.
I then scraped the back with a utility knife. Very lightly, did not actually see any aluminum dust.
Installed the scale, to my surprise it works.
The Y axis also got bad readings. The scale was new, I removed that scale and wiped it clean although it looked clean to my eye. This worked fine. Probably got oil or dust on the scale from the installation.
I also bought the adaptors for plug-in use. No more changing batteries except for the Z axis on both machines.
I hope this may help someone with similar problems.
mike
 
Last edited:

SmithDoor

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Global Moderator
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
1,063
Reaction score
149
Location
Clovis Ca
I found this type of DRO eats batteries.
I have one on mill and ever time it is used it is time to replace the battery.
Now I buy batteries in 50 pack.

Dave

I recently installed new I gauging DRO's on the lathe and mill.
The lathe went without a hitch the 24" scale was used on the X axis. The Z axis already had the scale installed.
The mill had the Z axis already installed. I then installed the X axis first. The display was all over the place. I re-read the directions. It said to wipe the scale clean and dry.
Did this , 3 separate times and still got wacko readings.
However the scale I used was the original scale with the old battery type displays. When I bought the kit it came with 6",12" and 24" scales. Still needed another 24" scale and that is why I used the old one that did work before installing the new read head and display. I cleaned the scale 3 times, used WD-40 on the third try. Same poor results. Removed the scale for the fourth time.
I then scraped the back with a utility knife. Very lightly, did not actually see any aluminum dust.
Installed the scale, to my surprise it works.
The Y axis also got bad readings. The scale was new, I removed that scale and wiped it clean although it looked clean to my eye. This worked fine. Probably got oil or dust on the scale from the installation.
I also bought the adaptors for plug-in use. No more changing batteries except for the Z axis on both machines.
I hope this may help someone with similar problems.
mike
 

Latest posts

Top