iGaging 6 inch DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman

Reaction score
Does any one use this on your lathe cross slide? I mounted one and I have to feed in .003 before it reads .001. Any suggestions please.

You are probably seeing the backlash in your cross slide. Feed in until it reads then zero it then your backlash will be taken up.

Did that in the beginning. These are the older igages. ON/OFF---XERO---ABS---SET. I don't know how to use the ABS or SET.

Does any one use this on your lathe cross slide? I mounted one and I have to feed in .003 before it reads .001. Any suggestions please.
Put a dial indecater and watch both and see move together.

Next
Try grabbing the tool post and push and pull. See if your DRO and dial moves.

Put a dial indecater and watch both and see move together.

Next
Try grabbing the tool post and push and pull. See if your DRO and dial moves.

Yep, got a push pull issue. Took my tool Post apart and I have some slop between the center bolt and the bore of the tool post block. I will try to find some super thin brass sheet and make a sleeve around the bolt. Maybe that will help it. I am using the Pitkin Donut plinth from the old 9x20 lathe forum.

The dial indicator is use to check the DRO.
You have slop in screw but if slide had slop some DRO do not like and skip.

Dave

I got a 12 inch DRO from Harbor Freight. I made a couple of mounts using some existing threaded holes on the cross slide and an attachment on my LeBlond. The attachment can be tightened or loosened for movement if needed. When everything is tightened, I get no errors except one. Being a Harbor Freight item, sometimes when I zero out the DRO, it will jump from 0.000 to + 0.200. But otherwise, it works for me.
Grasshopper
Lathe DRO A.JPG
Lathe DRO B.JPG

On the DRO I fitted to my mill you can go into the settings and alter the resolution of the scale, why I don't know. I had to do it for the mill but not my lathe, and I'm sorry I can't find the instructions, maybe someone else can help. Mine is one of the cheap Chinese type with optical scale that is on EBAY perhaps google it. I must say that apart from one scale that did not work I have found them to be very acceptable in performance, and are a god send especially for co-ordinate work such as drilling on a PCD.

I use them on my jet lathe , no problems. The key is not to distort or twist the movable jaw in the mounting. If the scale reads accurately out of the lathe then it is in the mounting. Ideally two small ball bearings should be clamped on the movable jaw. I have not done that. I was careful how I clamped it in place. Experiment ! Best luck.

On the DRO I fitted to my mill you can go into the settings and alter the resolution of the scale, why I don't know.

Usually the DRO is made to be able to use different scales, so there needs to be a way to match the two together - if the scale produces a quadrature transition every .01mm, but the DRO thinks it is every .02mm, errors will ensue. And sometimes the X scale is one resolution while the Y is another - just to make life more interesting!

Latest posts

Back