If we can post a turning job that's to big for my lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woffler

Reaction score
Hi ,everyone i need to get a 11" flywheel turned it's to big for my lathe ,so i was wondering if i could pay someone to do it for me? and if we can do this ,where
Flywheel.jpg
would one post it?

I am In Las Vegas ,i will ship it to wherever it needs to go and back that's no problem ,

Hi ,everyone i need to get a 11" flywheel turned it's to big for my lathe ,so i was wondering if i could pay someone to do it for me? and if we can do this ,whereView attachment 125201 would one post it?
I would get price from local machine shops.
It is simple job to do but shipping is bad each way about $30.00
It is less than 1 ½ hour of work.

Dave

People are going to shout at me for this - but here goes :)

I once trued a motorbike brake drum in the wheel, with a tyre on, which was way too big for my lathe. I set up a spindle clamped to the bed at 90 degrees to the bed axis, and ran the tyre against a face plate to spin the thing behind the bed. I then turned it with a BIG bit of bar clamped in the toolpost with a tool on the end. It chattered a little, but it worked!

I don't think this technique will entirely work for you here, though one could make a gizmo on a bearing to clamp the wheel onto, and you could even centre the hole in your flywheel if you could knock it about until you were happy it was more or less concentric with the rim.

This is the kind of lash-up backyard bodgery I enjoy, but I expect most people will advise you to just find someone to do it for you, as you initially suggested! Good luck.
M

Do you have acces to a mill? A friend of mine will machine up to 40" flywheels on a turntable on his Bridgeport.
I have done up to 16" diameter on my G0759 mill using a rotary table and could go double that. Set up time is not too bad and the results were very good although you don't end up with the characteristic appearance of a turned surface. You could give the appearance of a turn part with careful application of emery paper by hand after the machining is complete. Hopefully you have a mill and can use this method.

I do have two mills one cnc and one regular mill but no rotary table ,i thought about milling , but decided against that i only have one shot and i would hate to ruin a flywheel.
I put up a request for quote on another sight and i am having to put up a detailed drawing for quote i am working on that now here is a copy of that drawing .

Attachments

• Flywheel drawing.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 229
I do have two mills one cnc and one regular mill but no rotary table ,i thought about milling , but decided against that i only have one shot and i would hate to ruin a flywheel.
I put up a request for quote on another sight and i am having to put up a detailed drawing for quote i am working on that now here is a copy of that drawing .
It is simple job to do on lathe
I have machine thousands of cast iron wheels witch has more machining that a fly wheel.
I would try find a local lathe.
The shipping cost is very high.

When machining wheel with Grove and 2 ball bearing it only took 8 minutes to finish part. But just to one it was 45 minutes.

A machine shop using a 4 jaw chuck will take one hour. This job only needs to chuck one time.. If need a key way add 20 minutes

Dave

MRA, that kind of Backyard Bodgery would make the lads at Pakistan Trucks proud.
Sometimes a guy needs to think outside the box, good for you.
Cheers

For future reference, there is another way to do this on a mill, not using a rotary table - mount the flywheel to the spindle, and put a turning tool in the vise. Voila! You now have a lathe. Obviously, this needs a spindle that can go pretty slow, and of course the mill may not have enough throat to handle this.

I've known of machinists turning quite large parts this way using a horizontal mill ...

Latest posts

Back