I want to build---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my vote would of been the same as Lawijt "build a turbine" as i have made one i could finally help someone out for once on this forum.

but then i saw this....

My vote is for a small gas powered terminator style robot with bubble blowing guns.

sod the turbine, go with the terminator :cool:

Well, that's the question, isn't it. I don't really know WHAT I want to build. I'm stuck for ideas. I prefer something that doesn't require human intervention---the sawmill is very interesting to watch, but it requires my involvement to rewind the carriage and set the saw over to cut another board.---I'm open for suggestions.---Brian

Brian
Design or assemble an automatic sled return and a log positioner.

Nelson Collar

Check out the automatic reversing gears in this video. You have to watch it until close to the end to see how the rotation of the big "gear" reverses automatically. That is awesome!!! I've been designing machinery for 48 years and never seen anything like that before. In the video, the small "gear" is being turned buy hand on a crank, but if it was driven by an o-ring drive belt on a pulley I'm sure it would operate the same way.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHAum0izptU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSL9WLsn5ME[/ame]

Jeez, I've got to build one of these in metal!!! Does anyone else know of an automatically reversing gear train?

Mangle gears are fun to watch but can be difficult to build.
If you are wanting alternating rotary motion one way it is done it to use a crank and connecting rod to drive a rack in a guide back and forth like a piston. Then a spur gear is meshed with the rack and has alternating rotary motion. The motion is sinusoidal and not a uniform velocity through the middle of the motion range.
Gail in NM

Okay--I've kind of decided what I want to build. I have also just landed a fairly large design contract for some custom machinery and automation. Since I took the whole summer off to build little engines and go swimming/travelling with wife and granddaughters, I may not get a chance to build "toys" for a while. My office needs new flooring. The basement needs new carpet.---DAMNED CAT!!! Cat is gone, but its legacy lingers on-----

Brian,
What about an Stone Crusher Machine,
David---As I explained somewhere else, stone crushing is not really "scaleable". What I mean by that, is that although the engine is 100 times smaller, the hardness of a little stone is much the same as the hardness of a big stone.--Consequently, model stonecrushers don't really work that well. I like my scale models to be able to actually do the work of whatever it is that they represent. Tel from Australia built one about 30 years ago, and he has a source for talc, which is an easily crushable rock, but I don't.----Brian

Hey Brian awesome build's it would look real neat to build a mechanism like in post #43 and gear it with gears or belt and run it with one of your engine's

I know you've selected your next project Brian, but given your drag racing/hot rod background, what about the project after this one being the Rupnow V8?

Cogsy--It has taken some of our members over a year to build their V8 engines, and they are still not finished. I would never look at such a long term project. Given my obsessive/compulsive nature, I would never be able to quit working on it. I would work myself to death if my good wife didn't kill me first!!!

Point taken Brian, but I think you'd knock one out in no time :). Of course, you wouldn't have to build one, how about you just design one for us :hDe:.

Just joking, but I did wonder why you hadn't built one. It is in my grand plan one day, but I think it'll take me more than a year.

Mr. Rupnow,

Have you ever heard of the Strandbeest invented by Theo Jansen? I know your last post says you've decided on something but here's a mechanical contraption you might consider interesting:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSKyHmjyrkA[/ame]

Here's a video of the basic mechanism behind the "beest's" legs:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4q-f68TlY[/ame]

Jansen powers his with wind but it looks like it could be powered by anything that rotates.

I'd love to build one of these for kids to crawl around with!

-J.Andrew

Jandrew--I have indeed considered building one of those in the past. The thing that kept me from doing it was the fact that it requires so many virtually identical parts. I did however do a lot of research on it, and there is a video on You tube of some university students who actually built one or two small ones with engines on them and used them as motorized skate-boards or roller skates, I don't remember which.--Looked really freaky!!!!

Brian
didn't say the logger but the saw.
I used to go at carnaval in the lumber jack event
and putting diesel fuel instead of oil for the chain Rof}Rof}Rof}

after the event when everybody was inside for lunch
it would smell diesel so bad , and it was so funny to listen
to people

" I'm not the one smelling like diesel ....... you do "Rof}Rof}Rof}

btw the crank is all done working on the valve cage were you able to see Gus video

That is really a great prank Luc. All that fine diesel spray on the people.
I keep this in my mind.

barry

Brian
I was looking at Sept/Oct 2013 The Home Shop Machinist Mag, it features "The OPOC 246 Engine" looks very muck different.
Nelson Collar

May I suggest twin cylinder engine in-line or vee with overhead cam or gear driven cams with push rods and rocker arms.

Latest posts

Back