i think i have settled on my next engine and have a question or more

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have found the next engine I want to build. the Upshur Vertical Single.
I was able to contact Andy and get the drawings. he was very nice and emailed me the plans. - Andy I appreciate that if you are reading. the drawings are good and instruction portion seem to be straight forward as well.

my first question I have is the cylinder is steel liner with aluminum fins and the base flange of the liner has to be soldered on after being pressed into the aluminum fins. so my question is this, instead of a steel liner with aluminum fins, why not make the entire cylinder from steel or CI which would eliminate the need of soldering on the base after the fins being pressed on? this would also allow a little bit deeper fin cuts as well with the exception of the top fin which has to allow for head screws.

any thoughts on this? any tips, info etc from others who may have built this one?

I like the closed crank case that is made from multiple pieces of plate instead of hogged from one large chunk of metal.

edited because I called Andy "Dave" sorry Andy

after reading further, I find in a hand written note that the base and fins can be cut .375 inch od smaller thus eliminating the need for soldering and be a 1 piece part. so on that note it can be done but now I wonder why not full size od? I'm thinking because not enough room to get a screw started to hold the cylinder to the top plate? if this is the case then I'm thinking I could go with studs instead of screws and go full size on the fins for the added cooling. the notes do say that it will not sustain a full throttle run long without over heat but would idle all day long if built to plans. all this info is paraphrased by me and is not a direct quote from the plans.

Latest posts

Back