I really wish I had...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
websterz said:
What mill are you using it on?
A LuxMill I purchased new in 1977. It's an older version of the Grizzly G0730.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-30-Vertical-Mill/G0730

DSC00412.JPG

The resources and time to spend the day with John ( Mr Bogstandard )

d-m,

It won't be too long now before I have my tiny open workshop running again for visitors.

I have a sort of phone up and drop in, even just for a coffee and a chat, or maybe a bit of problem solving in the shop.

I don't promise miracles, but people usually go away with what they want or need, and sometimes, a little more.

If ever you're passing, say on holiday, drop in.

John

I 2nd the shaper wish. I really want one but everyone I see for sale is far from me. Shipping would cost as much as the machine.

A mill, so i wont have to mill on the lathe, or drive 12 km to work at evening to make parts

Bogstandard said:
If ever you're passing, say on holiday, drop in.
John

Should have known that a couple of years ago, when i was attempting a rolling road arrangement at WGT in Middlewich, apparently under 10 miles from you :eek:

Holt

... more skill in the "layout" department. The tiny scale of these projects are really putting me to the test.

Things that have helped:
a) recently puchased a dial height gage
b) truing points on scribes and center punches
c) constant switching from prescription glasses, to cheap reading glasses, to magnifiers, to eye loupes

Guess what I just broke down and bought...a 2 piece milling vise. :big:

A mill. They give many more options when it comes to the jobs you can do. It seems you can machine almost anything with a lathe and mill(with a bit of thought).

1- a background in basic machining
2- a machinist friend just down the road...
3- more time in the man cave
4- a night school giving machining classes
5- more time to spend using Solidworks
6- have the ability to grind the perfect HSS cutters

Oh and the guts to grab the simple single wobbler kit and machine it!
I am wearing the box out just opening it and looking at the parts and the plans! ;D

Being a total noob the list could go on forever... :big:

Andrew

Lazylathe: Was in the same boat when looking for training. All the Vo-tech's have stopped thier machinist classes and sold off all the tools. I'm sure you've found mrpete222 on youtube. He's been a wealth of information to me. The folks on this group are an endless supply of knowledge and support. So before you completely destroy the box, loss the parts, and spill coffee all over the instructions give it a shot. It's only metal and there's more being made every day.Roger

Andrew,

it took me about a year to have my first wobbler built: that's 363 days waiting then two more to have it done.
If You're concerned about ruining the castings, make a try piece out of barstock for each part: You'll end with Your first and second engine on the same day.
Go for it today, that's not that hard.

Marcello

---
As for the 'perfect' hss cutter, would that be the one which cuts to size?

Andrew

I think I agree with Roger and Marcello, you have to give it a try. When I started out, I did not have a machining background and I learned by trial and error (fortunately not many errors). Give it a try and I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Vince

lazylathe said:

The hardest thing for me to learn in machining is that if you're not making mistakes you're likely not making anything. You learn by trying and, sometimes, by failing. But don't let the possibility of failure make you not even try.

Thanks guys!!!
I will get there!!! ;D

I still make things on the lathe and mill, mostly small bits for work.
Nothing precision yet.... :big:

At the moment i am really enjoying setting up and cleaning my machinery and getting to know it!

Andrew

Sorry, Andrew: I noticed only now the tag lines in Your posts.

"Go for it TOMORROW, that's not that hard." :big:

Marcello

Back