I really wish I had...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
...well...it's going to be different for everyone. There is, for all of us, that one tool or accessory that we have always drooled over. One piece of kit that we are always looking at but never seem to drop the cash for. What is the one thing that you think would make your shop complete?

On the flip side of this coin I would ask that if you HAVE the item that someone is lusting after, take a moment to tell us how it is working out for you. For example, if I think a 5c spin indexer would be the thing I really need and you have one, tell us how often you ACTUALLY use it. Kind of a been-there-done-that tool lust therapy to help those of us in need. ;D

I'll start off with my 2-piece milling vise craving. You know, the kind that bolts down to the mill table and can hold parts nearly as long as the table itself. I have downloaded plans to build one, shopped around for chunks of cast iron and ACME threaded rod, prowled Ebay on the outside chance I can snag a pristine used example for a ridiculously low price. I don't MAKE anything bigger than my 4" vise can currently hold, nor do I see doing so anytime soon. Still it nags at me... ???

It just so happens I have a very heavy version in my arsenal.

It is used on average about twice a year, but when I did my folding guitar project a while back, it was used every day for a week or so.

I could have done the job without it, by using table clamps, but that would have meant resetting everything each time. With the split vice, it got the job done in about 10% of the time.

Mine are a very heavy set, for a rather large machine, an 836, about 2/3rds the size of a Bridgeport, but you can get new versions that do the same sort of job, but not quite such a heavyweight, and not too much money. About 2/3rds down this page, there are 5 split vices, mine is a 6" version, like the last one.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engineering_Menu_Other_Milling_Vices_98.html

Not a very revealing shot, but this is how it held the guitar on the mill table.

Tension06.jpg

John

Folding guitar? Would love to see a write-up on that!

Didn't have to think hard about this one...a Procunier reversing tapping head. For the one that goes from #00 -1/2", only about $750.00. If you have an extra one lying around....

Getting away from my posts above, I would love to own a 3 axis precision grinding vice (drool).

Almost any size would do, but a 2" or 3" one would be perfect. :bow:

It would allow me to grind HSS lathe tools really easy using my surface grinder. I do have a jigging fixture that does do this, but it is a bit of a pig to set up.

Another one would be a vertical, water drenched, diamond lapping machine, for reshaping and sharpening tungsten lathe tooling. I do have all the bits to make one, just finding the time to do it is the problem.

All donations of any of these items gratefully received, pretty please (grovel, grovel). ::) ::)

John

A dividing head or rotary table :big: As the weeks efforts have shown
Pete

Thanks John for that advice. :bow:RTY it is :big:
Pete

A 60" precision straight edge....and a 3 x 4 plate! :-[

Dave

I'm with rkepler. Before I can get anything else I need more room ( a new bigger shed )

A pristine metal shaper!!! :big: ;D

Always loved the look and sound of them!

Andrew

websterz said:
I'll start off with my 2-piece milling vise craving. You know, the kind that bolts down to the mill table and can hold parts nearly as long as the table itself. I have downloaded plans to build one, shopped around for chunks of cast iron and ACME threaded rod, prowled Ebay on the outside chance I can snag a pristine used example for a ridiculously low price. I don't MAKE anything bigger than my 4" vise can currently hold, nor do I see doing so anytime soon. Still it nags at me... ???

I have a H2992 2-piece milling vise I purchased from Grizzly.com on sale for $89 about a year ago. The current price is $105. It would be difficult to make one of these yourself even at the current price. I was sort of Leary about it's purchase but I had a job that demanded it. Now I can't imagine not having it as it's used for more than I ever imagined. It's advantage is not limited to just the length of work that can be clamped between the jaws. The work also sits flat on the milling table which provides work height advantages under the spindle too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-pc-Milling-Vise-6-/H2992

I really wish I had more talent! :p

Seriously, I wish had bigger machines and the funds to purchase them with. I love my BenchMaster Mill but the work envelope can be very frustrating at times. I'm starting to outgrow The Atlas/Craftsman 618 lathes that I own. They are great lathes to get you going; but, I am at the point where I need greater rigidity and capacity.

A WebSite that worked ALL of the time! :big:

Rick

n4zou said:
I have a H2992 2-piece milling vise I purchased from Grizzly.com on sale for $89 about a year ago. The current price is $105. It would be difficult to make one of these yourself even at the current price. I was sort of Leary about it's purchase but I had a job that demanded it. Now I can't imagine not having it as it's used for more than I ever imagined. It's advantage is not limited to just the length of work that can be clamped between the jaws. The work also sits flat on the milling table which provides work height advantages under the spindle too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-pc-Milling-Vise-6-/H2992

What mill are you using it on?

Latest posts

Back