I need an eccentric

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bored the eccentric strap today. Here is the settup. I used a 4 jaw in my lathe and drilled and bored it to size.
CIMG0599.jpg

After it was bored I scribed some lined on it and used my bandsaw to trim the stock up. Here is a quick picture of that.
CIMG0600.jpg

After that I used my belt sander and sanded to the lines. It worked good. My picture is missing though? Ill take another and post it in the morning.

Later, Wes

Looks good - that top jaw of the chuck looks to be nearly at its limit tho'

Its coming along, thats all there is right? Or does the eccentric need drilling as well?

I'm out drilling the 13/16 hole, a setscrew hole and the two holes to hold the clamp on right now:eek:) It will be done today:eek:)

Wes

Well here it is:eek:)
CIMG0601.jpg

I even polished it up some for you:eek:)

Later, Wes

Nice job on the eccentric.

Whatcha gonna use it for Ranger?

Eric

Yes, the main plan is to use it to power a water pump.

I had an afterthought though, I could also power a single action slide valve. This way I can run my engine at any pressure not just 100psi max. It would also improve the speed by reducing friction. I'm not sure how I'm going to make this slide valve but I think I can base it of of a toy one.

Hey Wes, if you still have it, would you be able to post some side/back view pictures? (Or, Ranger - once they arrive) When I looked at the drawings originally, I didn't really get how this was supposed to go together. Some more pictures would help that knowledge integration, I think. :)

Thanks,
-Sparky

sparky961 said:
Hey Wes, if you still have it, would you be able to post some side/back view pictures? (Or, Ranger - once they arrive) When I looked at the drawings originally, I didn't really get how this was supposed to go together. Some more pictures would help that knowledge integration, I think. :)

Thanks,
-Sparky

I dont have any pics :( The drawings mostly describe how it goes together. The best way I can describe it is saying its an eccentric sandwich. The brass in the middle and the 2 steel parts on the outside. Secured by 2 screws. I think Wes still has it he maybe able to help.

I think I was fine until I saw the screws in the outer ring piece... is there a bit of a "step" on the other steel piece that the ring sits on top of and for the screws to thread into?

-Sparky

The ring pilots onto the steel eccentric piece and is just held in place with the screws. It should work great. There should be little or no force on the retainer itself. I have the pictures but ran out of time last night. I'll post them after work.

Wes

Had a malfunction with my camera it seems? The pictures are really bad. It's in the mail, so we'll have to wait till our little buddy Ranger gets it:eek:0

Wes

I will take it apart and take some pictures. I still have an idea for a slide valve, I wonder how I could make it from brass/copper plumbing parts?

Back