I need an eccentric

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerssteamtoys

Reaction score
For my engine, it will power the water pump. The pump has a 3/4" stroke, so the ecentric will be offset 3/8", right??

Does anyone know how to make one, some of you do I know that ;) I need one made, and I simply dont have any machining tools to make one.If one of you chooses to make one for me I will pay you, or if your nice you will take pity on a machine tool-less little 14 year old kid :big:

If you can get some one to make a plan I will take pity on you and make it....no charge for toothless people.....unless some one is closer to you........I am in the UK. Mike.

Thanks Mike, I will let this topic settle for about a week. If nothing happens....it up to you to make it. i will pay for the shipping though. ;)

Heres a sketch of what I need made, please tell me that everything is correct on this.

This is the eccentric and eccentric cover, on the eccentric I need to add a 1 1/4" diameter and about 1/2" thick piece so I can thread for a grub screw. I just forgot to add that to the pic :-[ the 13/16" hole is offset 3/8" so I can have a 3/4" stroke.

Eccentric1.jpg

This is my idea for what will attach to the pump, I left the 1/2" piece 2" long so I can cut it and drill holes where they need to be. This piece is 3/16" thick so it will fit in the 1/4" gap.
Eccentric2.jpg

All 3 of these pieces will sandwich together and be held with the 1/8" holes that will have bolts in them.

I believe that most of this is right, the cover needs to have a hole for the shaft like the eccentric. I added one but it doesnt show up. I think that all of this can be machined on a mill? i'm not really sure of the tools needed.

Ranger you impress me more and more every day with your understanding
of what needs to be done to reach the final result.

To see that coming from a young man of your years has brought another
thought to mind.

This one to be exact:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw[/ame]

That's NOT intended to be a "dis" buddy!
You've got the mind to get there!

Follow it!!!

Rick

I LOVE that scene ;D And as an engineer, am not, in the least bit, offended, rather proud :D I love to loan my HP calculator to a non-knacker and watch their frustration :big: :big:

Ranger,

I'm sure this isn't the reply you are looking for, but could you make your part yourself out of wood until you get access to a lathe or mill?

I remember making wheels for some project when I was about your age with Dad's hand drill strapped down to a piece of wood and put in a vise. I laid out the radius of each of the wheels. Drilled a center hole. Cut them out as best I could with a coping saw. Then stacked them together with a washer and nut on each end of a piece of threaded rod. I chucked that in the drill and "turned" them with a coarse grit of sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood.

I know not having the tools you want stinks. I'm still looking to buy a metal lathe, myself. I found these links which maybe could help your situation some. Might be something to consider:
http://www.btinternet.com/%7Etwo.mm/articles/fonly/fonlypt1.htm
http://www.vintageprojects.com/lathe-milling-plans.html

Hope that helps some. Good luck with your project.
Brian

P.S That video clip is a riot! The best lines are:
[Mom] Can he lead a normal life?
[Doc] No! He'll be an engineer.

That should work OK Ranger, but you won't need anything like the 1/16" clearance you are showing between eccentric and strap - a few thou at most, but preferably just a free running fit.

Also, you will need to drill an oil hole - 1/16" would be ok, with a larger diameter at the outer end.

Thanks for the input, I knew that there was a few things that I left out but didnt know what ;)
So an oil hole and a grub screw piece on the eccentric, not to metion the hole in the eccentric cover.

So Mike is in the UK and Powderkeg is in the US. Looks like Powderkeg won.

Powderkeg, are you ready :big:

P.s- I love that video :big:

:) ;D

No problemo! Glad you are getting the support! Oh and that video is great!

Ok, lets see how it develops.

Keep turning, if you want to stay a round.....

Powderkeg has decided to machine the part for me. Its final and hes going to be working on it. I thank him greatly for his kindness. It still costs money though ;)

While my cams were being machined today, I had a chance to start on Rangers eccentric. I turned the body on the lathe. Now I just have to drill all the holes. The strap, I'm going to machine out of brass. He wanted pictures:eek:)

CIMG0592.jpg

Later, Wes

Lookin' good Wes, but how is the keeper plate going to be retained? I don't see a circlip groove.

rangerssteamtoys said:
All 3 of these pieces will sandwich together and be held with the 1/8" holes that will have bolts in them.

Just how you showed me in your drawing? Do you want it different? If so, better let me know before I get them drilled.

Wes

Ok, I'm just making sure that you have room for the 1/8" holes in the keeper plate and the eccentric. I will put bolts on those to make the sandwich together.

So is that material steel? aluminum? a brass strap is going to look good.

Latest posts

Back