I keep window shopping.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
I've been contemplating purchasing a cnc machine. I'm getting closer to the day. I'm just wanting to know if anyone here has the following machine and if they do what they think of it.
CNC SUPRA Mill

I have it narrowed down to this or the following.
Basic PCNC 1100 Package

I'm leaning toward the Supra right now. If I decide it will be this spring when I will get off the fence and make my decision.

Thanks for any input.

If you have the space I would go for the Supra mill with out a second thought. Much bigger and more rigid machine that would last many years to come.
I have heard a lot good reports about the Tormach mill but the Supra would be far Superior machine over it.
I am not sure why they sell the Tormach at 1130 lbs for so much when their is over twice the cast iron in the Supra at 2600 lbs, not to mention the larger motors etc.

Dave

That is one of the reasons I was leaning towards that machine. I was just wanting to see if anyone here has any experience with that machine or that company.

I would like them both!!!!! ,but having a small mill now I would go for the bridge clone.

I did some research a year a go on the tormach. Hell of a machine also, but it is designed for CNC and that's it. Few more options with the other mill.

Matt

Don't get me wrong I think the Tormach looks like a great machine and have read lots of good comments but I like the size of the Supra and am just a little concerned about the quick change in the Tormach. I know at work here we had a Bridgeport EZ track for awhile with a small quick change and IMHO it was a piece of junk only due to the quick change. No matter what size tool you used and the size of the cut it would chatter because of all the extra length added by the tool changer. Anyway I don't really think I need a quick change for my personal use so R-8 will work just fine.

I'll be contrary... I have an old Tormach 1100. Great machine. I'd get another if my house burned down and the insurance paid off (although I'd think about getting a 770 for space reasons.. the thing is big with the deluxe stand). I had one issue with TTS tools pulling out in long cuts on steel, but fixed it by cleaning the oil off the shank and retightening the power drawbar. Never a problem before or since. I don't run huge cuts, but I'm not seeing any chatter over my manual knee mill. I've never heard of the Supra, so this is all from a quick look at their web site--

The Tormach is exclusively a CNC machine. There's no point trying to run it by hand. It is also designed to be a CNC machine, the Supra looks to be a CNC kit added to a manual knee mill (and thus has a manually operated knee), so you've only got 4.5" programmable Z travel. Might be an issue for you, might not.

No provisions for a stand/enclosure/catch tray... necessary IMO if you ever plan to run flood coolant (and I do, a lot). Same for spindle speed-- you'd want to get the computer-controlled speed option for the Supra; 2800 RPM is slow for little cutters and you don't want to be fussing with belts every time you change a tool. The controller SW on the Supra I don't recognize and the price on the Supra quick-change... yeep.

Tormach's support has been great for me-- my machine's on at least it's 3rd owner and they happily help me out with all kinds of things. There's an active user community and parts available. If you want to get into production work, they've got a 10 tool ATC about to release... although if you want to get into CNC production work, pile up $20K (what a loaded Tormach or Supra would be) and go get a nice used VMC which will run rings around both of the other machines.

All that said, what kind of work do you want to do on it? The 1100 itself is overkill for 95% of the work ever seen on here. You can stand on the table and jog it around. The Supra will do better on even bigger pieces of work.

Thanks Shred
I have heard a lot of good comments on the Tormach! But I am still leaning toward the supra. I would love to have a Haas VMC but most are a little out of my price range plus I would have to do a 3phase conversion. I still have some time to try and make up my mind. I wouldn't want to get anything delivered until the weather gets nice. I was really hoping some one here would have a Supra and give me some hands on comments.
Thanks again Shred!

Oh, the work I plan on doing is mostly modeling and some proto-typing work. So yes a smaller machine would probably do me just fine.

I have a Novakon NM-200. It's a bed mill similar to Tormach but heftier and a larger work envelope for the same price. Plus it has a coolant enclosure.

With any CNC mill forget about using it manually.

kvom said:
I have a Novakon NM-200. It's a bed mill similar to Tormach but heftier and a larger work envelope for the same price. Plus it has a coolant enclosure.

With any CNC mill forget about using it manually.
Oh I never intended to use it manually.
How is the machine control software? I've read a little on the Novakon but haven't heartd a lot of comments on it.
Thanks for your input.

doc1955 said:
Oh I never intended to use it manually.
How is the machine control software?
IIRC the Novakon uses Mach 3 as well. They had some early complaints (or one very vocal complainer), but seem to be getting decent reviews now.

I don't think there's any really bad deals in the small CNC space nowdays (at least amongst the 'major brands'); the sources and components are fairly well sorted out for each cost/size/weight design point and there's enough competition to keep pricing reasonably sane. Getting one that fits what you want to do is the key. Some people will value this or that over something else and vice-versa.

Novakon uses Mach3. The controller cabinet can optionally include a PC motherboard and come preloaded with Mach3 and Win7. My series 1 machine has a separate box, but the new ones come with an electronics cabinet attached to the back of the column. You just plug in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and provide 220v power.

Novakon sold 5 of their smaller NM-145s at Cabin Fever, and they will be at NAMES if you are there and want a demo.

There's a Novakon subforum on CNCZone.

I'm still on the fence at which machine I want to go with. I hope to make up my mind before the end of March.
I had a chance at buying a used Tree Mill Journeyman awhile back. I sure wish I would of went for that.

Back