I hope to make it a twin cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipstractor

Reaction score
DSC_2443.jpg

Pictured are the two sleeves along with one of the block/heads. The block/head was machined 3x4x5 6061 stock, the head (top center) was parted off.

The sleeves are cast iron, stock. Currently I have them honed at a local shop for 12 bucks a piece.

Still have a lot of figuring to go, but I hope to have it looking like a combination of these two..

Twin like this

But sized/styled like this...

I hope to be able to post progrss soon.

Hi Chips,
Cool! I'm planning to do the same thing with a mill engine I've built. Keep us posted with your progress. As soon as I make some parts I'll post some pics.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,
Thanks for the interest. The running twin in my post has two coils, I am going to try and eliminate this with a "dstiributor" of sorts.
I hope to have something running for Christmans.

you may not need a distributor if you use the "waste spark" setup. It has been used on many full size twins. Both cylinders receive a spark on both the exhaust and compression stroke and the cylinders are timed 180 degrees out. That is how the chinese CJ750 works. It looks like it has a distributor but it is just a cam to open and close the points. No rotor! The wires go directly from the single coil to the plugs.

The coils for spark engine twins without a distributor are probably made and used by many companies. The one I am familiar with is Onan (part of Cummins Engine), used them on al their 2 cylinder gas engine generators. One coil with two hot lead outlets.

I finally have found some time to make progress. It is starting to look more like and engine.
DSC01680.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

I am still debating the coil situation. I have located a "buzz box" and I am considering using it it this project.

It is looking very nice! :bow: Can't wait to see it turn!

Holy Moly, that's some progress for a month! Looking really good! :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the comments. I chucked it up on the lathe yesterday to run it in some. It is not fully seated yet but compression seemed to be coming up nicely.
I am hoping when I put it up on some crossmembers or possibly a box it will give it a little better proportion. Right now it looks a little "lanky" just sitting there.

Great work, I'm envious :bow:

Regards
Bob

Some progress has been made...

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

It runs but is still a little finicky. I had to fix one bug with a sticky exhaust valve ( I just lubed liberally and stretched the spring, hopefully it will get better with break in).
Anyone interested in seeing it run?

chipstractor said:
Some progress has been made...
It runs but is still a little finicky. I had to fix one bug with a sticky exhaust valve ( I just lubed liberally and stretched the spring, hopefully it will get better with break in).
Anyone interested in seeing it run?

Do we really have to answer that? ??? Of course we do. :bow:

Sure is lookin pretty, a well built engine.

Cheers :)

Don

Don, Love the beams and skids you set this on. Makes it look real authentic.

Great job !

earl...

OK, I knew it to be an obvious question, but a little encouragement helps. I will try to get a video posted soon.
I am still tinkering with it, I have been running it with the the "govenor set to high idle" so it is running more like a hit and hit engine. I hope to get it be a hit and miss as I dial in the adjustments and break-in occurs.

Chipstractor,

That is one fine looking engine
mgeye-popping.gif

Do we want to see it run ???

mgyes.gif
mgyes.gif
527.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Run it :bow: :bow: :bow: It looks great.

Cheers,
Phil

Sweet looking engine!

I second the "Run It!"

Rick

The battery ran out in the camera, so this is all the video I got so far.
Still working on some bugs, when it gets going I have an overrun. I need to dial in the govenor. Takes patience.

Latest posts

Back