I found out 3 things about my setup with slitting saws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digiex-chris

Reaction score

1) That wasn't the slitting saw I wanted, it was a wood cutting saw that ended up in that cabinet drawer. Oops. I figure it burned the teeth off immediately, and then I pushed harder.

2) My cheap vise doesn't hold very well, the fixed jaw stretches the bolts and flexes away.

3) a 1/3 absent slitting saw with the remaining teeth burned off, with a bit of an edge ground on to it and a bit of relief behind it, can still finish the cut , if you're willing to feed it less than a thousandth per rev. Man does it make a racket though...

Looks like you were making a boring head?

Chris,
Been there, many times.
Nothing to be ashamed of, especially when you are doing it on the lathe, a very difficult exercise at the best of time.

It is when you get a setup like this and one hits a hard spot. THEN you are in trouble, trying to get the old blade off and a new one set up in exactly the same position.
But these things are sent to try us.

Slitpack03.jpg

Slitpack04.jpg

John

Last edited:
I have a broken a few. Tinned the edge that engage first but let the first tooth able to cut and it is still serviceable.
Some found a new life as grooving tool.
One tenth of my lathe tools are from broken tools... taps,dies, drill, end mills, saw blades.

Yep, been there, done that, and it cost me a set of new gears for the mill. I was only cutting aluminum when the blade grabbed. I found out later that the blade had a crack in it. But that was after I had made and fitted new gears to the mill and decided to finish the job. :wall::wall::wall:

I hope that you can salvage the work without too much trouble.

Yup, good learning lesson. Any suggestions on feed per rev on something like this?

Looks like you were making a boring head?

Yeah exactly. I chose a random chunk of random stainless too, it was easy to turn it too fast. Had to finish the slot off with a hacksaw, which is ugly. Still works as a tool though, which is what counts.

Latest posts

Back