I dreamed about this last night

Help Support HMEM:

Basil

Reaction score
Building the Seal Major I had polished the crank journals to finish size with cut off strips of wet and dry, Yes I could have used emery cloth which may have worked better but the W&D was on hand in many grades finishing in 2000 grit. On inspecting the polished crank closely you could see waves going across the bearing surface. I had been using some narrow cut strips to get an acceptable mic. measurements across the journal and this was showing up in the polished finish.
Well as we sometimes do I took this issue to bed with me.
Lots of tossing and turning and not a great nights sleep but had a definite well formed idea of what I needed this morning! This was my project for the day. I have seen similar tools used in full size crank finishing so I realize its nothing totally new. A few iterations later I have something I'm happy with and seems to have addressed the issue. 👍 🍻

Attachments

Poppy Ott

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Building the Seal Major I had polished the crank journals to finish size with cut off strips of wet and dry, Yes I could have used emery cloth which may have worked better but the W&D was on hand in many grades finishing in 2000 grit. On inspecting the polished crank closely you could see waves going across the bearing surface. I had been using some narrow cut strips to get an acceptable mic. measurements across the journal and this was showing up in the polished finish.
Well as we sometimes do I took this issue to bed with me.
Lots of tossing and turning and not a great nights sleep but had a definite well formed idea of what I needed this morning! This was my project for the day. I have seen similar tools used in full size crank finishing so I realize its nothing totally new. A few iterations later I have something I'm happy with and seems to have addressed the issue. 👍 🍻
And another bit is added to my library of finishing techniques. Thanks, Basil! And what you said about taking a problem to bed, and waking with the solution. So True.

Latest posts