I Broke a Tap

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke a 6-32 off in a hard piece of steel. A piece of steel that took hours to make. Right now I'm in the process of remanufacturing the entire piece. I'll drill and use a pin this time!

Has any one ever tryed aplying 12v dc to the process with the neg on the tap?

Well, broke a 3-48 tap in a casting last week. Tried the alum and water method on a small hot plate to warm up the water. Watched a nice stream of bubbles and debris float out. Took three days, last day I looked in the cup and thought "why is there brass chips on the bottom". They were there as the tap was completely gone, and they just fell out of the hole.
Thanks for the tip.

Good to hear, but is there someone who cann tell me were in holland I can buy this stuf? Or how it is called over here.
Just broke a M2 tap yesterday, also on a little piece of brass, where I head worked on for some time.
S****t happens as we say over here.

Nemt

I broke a 6-32 tap in a aluminum piece I was working on. Got some Alum at the grocery store and mixed up a saturated ( stirred the Alum in until it wouldn't dissolve any more ) batch in a aluminum pan and heated the mixture with the aluminum piece in it to a little under boiling. The only bubbles you should see are the ones coming from where the broken tap/drill or what every is. That is the temp to use. It seems the heat really speeds the process. It took 4 hours and the tap was completely gone. Had to add water to the mixture a couple of times as it evaporated away.

First time I had to try this trick and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

Ron

herbiev,

Yhanks for the tip. I think I now will be able to get some of the stuf.

Nemt

Thanks for this tip. It really works. I broke a 2,5mm drill in the crankcase of the Nemett lynx that I have started to build.

It took 3 hours on the cooker but the drill is now gone.

Thank you for the tip it's saved me from making another crankcase

Latest posts

Back