I bought a lathe, mill, and a bandsaw, how did I do?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Monday to all. I'm sitting here with an ungarnished "old fashioned" and figuared this would be a good time to share my findings of these machines.
"Sip"

Let's start with the mill.
Perhaps in better shap than I thought with the exception on the slot someone installed in the table with a 1/2" end mill. The vise was sitting on top of it so I had no clue it was there. O well.
The base has some pretty wild surface rust on it. About all of the paint is chipping off. All axis's are smooth.
I'm happy.
"Sip"

The lathe is a little rough. The switch is mounted in just about the worst location. The switch itself need to be internally explored. It has trouble making contact in the forward position.
My measurements lead me to believe that this is a 13x42. It has the 4 speed,dual belt drive with a back gear. Rpm range is 50-1600(iirc). As shown in the pictures it has a quick change gear box of the lead screw. As mentioned before, power cross feed.
"Sip"
It has the original 110 motor but in the hour or so I ran it lubing things up it made a few pretty good squalls. I can get a 1-1/2 hp 3ph U.S. motor from work for around $200 so if I have any problems with the 1940's motor, options have been discussed.
"Sip"
The ways right under the chuck are pretty chewed up. Looks as if the chuck has come unscrewed a few times.
Speaking of Chuck, the three jaw currently on the machine looks to be mounted to a homemade backing plate. I say this because it has 3, 1/2" bolts running completely threw the chuck with the heads landing in between the jaws. I didn't not get a chance to look at the 4 jaw. Looks to have a lot of surface rust and be around 8" dia.

Once everything is set up in my shop I think I will bore out some of the gears that run the lead screw and give them some bushings, they are pretty loose on there shafts.
"Sip"

The bandsaw. Don't really know anymore about it now that I did a few weeks ago. It is a lot bigger than I though. Coolent take is water tight, looks as it will need new pluming but that is small potatoes. I'm under the impression my father is envious of it.
"Sip"

If your still reading we shall move on to the mix of tooling.

It looks that the step block clap set is %95 complete, it is missing two of the second from smallest step block. There are two or thee handfuls of mix drill bits but no where near a new set. A fair mix of end mills. A bunch ranging from 1/2"-3/4" and some with 4" flutes. A couple new smaller end mills. One of witch is a 1/2" ball endmill. Don't tell me that wasn't pricy in the mid 80's!! A few small <1/4" end mills.
A few woodruff cutters.

Three different size of number stamp sets.

A 1/2" Jacobs chuck for the lathe.
Another 1/2" Jacobs for the mill.
A very nice boring head. I've not looked up the brand up it looks quality.
View attachment IMG_1781.jpgView attachment IMG_1780.jpg
The set of mic's shown. Looks to be good.

Over all I'm happy with everything. It's getting me more excited to get my shop done.

Thank you for stopping by. After so long of just watching builds it's pretty cool to be able to have something to share.

Have a good week,

GJ

well it certainly sounds to me like you got extremely lucky in the fact that you had no idea of what condition those machines were in and paid several thousand dollars out on the hopes it was a goodly deal and based purely upon hearsay regarding an older gentleman's spending habits. (think: "I've got this antique car thats worth alot of money for sale, it used a little oil but it ran when it was parked..... 30yrs ago) What if you had done this deal and those machines wound up to be pieces of rubbish? It is my suggestion that you do some more/better homework and digging for manuals and lubrication practices of these machines instead of asking for what you hope to be enabling remarks here. Best of luck to you
regards
Jim

I don't see anything in the photos that can't be repaired or vastly improved with some new or rebuilt parts and lots of elbow grease.

Make sure it was the motor making the "good squalls" before you buy a motor. Might be a loose bushing on a shaft or spindle bearing. Remove any belt off the motor and see if the shaft is loose. Simple bearing or bushing might do the trick.

Those two machines repaired will be way better than some brand new Chinese junk.

Gentlemen!! I have made a major mistake!!

The lathe is a Sheldon!!

I was reading some of the above posts and something dissent feel right about Logan (name of my niece).

I've attached the only pic I have of the lathe. It is the name plate above the change gears.

View attachment 93548

GJ
If you decise ro get rid of the model airplane stuff, let me know and give me a price and we will talk.

I lifted a 900 lb lathe and a mill , unknown weight but appeared to be at least 1000 lbs. Used an HF 2 ton engine hoist. I also attached a come-a-long to the boom and to the low side of the lathe. I leveled the lathe with the come-along after lifting a few inches with the hoist.
Web slings under the ways with L shape 2x4's between the web and the ways for protection.
The mill was lifted with web slings also and packed out with lumber so the slings would not break any accessories.
The mill wanted to tilt backwards from the weight of the motor and the column. I attached the come-a-long same as the lathe.
Ran the table to one side to help level the mill. Also added 3 chucks from lathes to add weight to the high side.

Quoit "

I bought a lathe, mill, and a bandsaw, how did I do?​

I think you did very good, you have lots of fun work ahead, I looked at all the photo's, thanks for posting..

Where in SE Kansas? Lived in Coffeyville for 8 years.
Sound like a good deal. That backlash you are talking about is nothing. Those machines sound like they are in very good shape. Don't know if your only experience is with CNC stuff, but on manual machines, anything less than half a turn is still new.

ADs cover my entire computer monitor. There is a space 2" tall 8" wide with no ADs. Maybe ADs blocker will stop all these ADs???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back