Hybrid arbor-pulley

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by Brian Rupnow, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018 #1

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

I have a 1/2 horsepower 1750 rpm motor on my main workbench out in the garage that is primarily used to "run in" small engines to loosen them up. I want an arbor to mount my different polishing buffs on. I don't like polishing in my lathe because it makes such a mess. I don't want to be constantly changing the pulley for a shaft mounted arbor because it gnarls up the motor shaft. LIGHTBUULB!!!--Make a threaded arbor that has the pulley permanently mounted to it.
    [​IMG]

2. May 16, 2018 #2

werowance

werowance

werowance

good idea, but just throwing this out there. my store bought buffer runs at 3000 rpm. do you think 1750 will cut in enough? by cut in, I mean polish quickly.

mines just a 50.00 harbor freight job though.

edited to change 1500 to 1750

3. May 16, 2018 #3

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Yes, prior to building this thing I ran my buffs in the lathe at about 500 rpm. This should be a big improvement.
    This was a nice little project, based 40% on need and 60% to give me somethin g to do this afternoon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. May 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM #4

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Not out of any undue considerations of my fingers, but in order to get the correct ratio I machined a smaller v-pulley from aluminum and mounted it on my arbour. The original pulley which I showed on the arbour was 3.5" diameter. The new one is 2 1/2" diameter, which restores the ratio I wanted and does get the pulley a little farther away from my fingers if I want to polish something on the buff.
    [​IMG]