Hybrid arbor-pulley

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a 1/2 horsepower 1750 rpm motor on my main workbench out in the garage that is primarily used to "run in" small engines to loosen them up. I want an arbor to mount my different polishing buffs on. I don't like polishing in my lathe because it makes such a mess. I don't want to be constantly changing the pulley for a shaft mounted arbor because it gnarls up the motor shaft. LIGHTBUULB!!!--Make a threaded arbor that has the pulley permanently mounted to it.
vMzgYL.jpg

good idea, but just throwing this out there. my store bought buffer runs at 3000 rpm. do you think 1750 will cut in enough? by cut in, I mean polish quickly.

mines just a 50.00 harbor freight job though.

edited to change 1500 to 1750

Yes, prior to building this thing I ran my buffs in the lathe at about 500 rpm. This should be a big improvement.
This was a nice little project, based 40% on need and 60% to give me somethin g to do this afternoon.
BxMJMJ.jpg

HzTN8Y.jpg

NHxsnm.jpg

Not out of any undue considerations of my fingers, but in order to get the correct ratio I machined a smaller v-pulley from aluminum and mounted it on my arbour. The original pulley which I showed on the arbour was 3.5" diameter. The new one is 2 1/2" diameter, which restores the ratio I wanted and does get the pulley a little farther away from my fingers if I want to polish something on the buff.
ekXUWo.jpg

Latest posts

Back