Humble beginnings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_k

Reaction score
Good day all,

Been lurking here for a long time while I got together the wherewithall to make something. After a couple of false starts I settled on the River Queen. Now I have been in engineering for !! years (censored to due extreme age) and I'm still trying to figure out how anybody could put this forward as a beginners project ! However, persevered and (having made almost everything twice) would like to post the results of my first effort here for your amusement. Still a bit of finishing off to do: have to attack the connecting rod (too wide and fouling on the bottom of the cylinder), shim the valve and to install the plumbing. I believe the valve has been a bit of an enigma in the past: I will be pleased to share the results my efforts in this respect within the next couple of weeks.

cheers John Kearsley

Attachments

• RiverQueen.JPG
    RiverQueen.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 171
  • RiverQueenAssy.JPG
    RiverQueenAssy.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 163
Good day all,

Been lurking here for a long time while I got together the wherewithall to make something. After a couple of false starts I settled on the River Queen. Now I have been in engineering for !! years (censored to due extreme age) and I'm still trying to figure out how anybody could put this forward as a beginners project ! However, persevered and (having made almost everything twice) would like to post the results of my first effort here for your amusement. Still a bit of finishing off to do: have to attack the connecting rod (too wide and fouling on the bottom of the cylinder), shim the valve and to install the plumbing. I believe the valve has been a bit of an enigma in the past: I will be pleased to share the results my efforts in this respect within the next couple of weeks.

cheers John Kearsley
Good day all,
Your engine looks like a kit I have from the Unimat company. Bought it years ago and started on it last year, then moved ! When I find it again I will use my Unimat to build it, I hope.
Will enjoy keeping in touch to see how you solved problems of which I am sure I will have many as never having donemachine work before. Am an engineer also, older than dirt!

cheers John Kearsley

Good day,

The plan I used is the one from the Unimat kit. I have probably done a few things slightly differently, mostly to accommodate available materials. There were certainly a few "challenges" and if I was to do it again there would be quite a few things done differently. All part of the learning curve. Frankly, with the usual 20/20 hindsight the first thing I would do differently would be to start with something a little more straightforward. Good luck with yours,

cheers John K.

Back