HR27 Ringbom revisted

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
Hi, not a blow by blow build thread just simply a few bits n bobs as I go
I made this engine a few years ago but used it and a Moriya as a swap for some 2inch Ericsson casting that had seen better day.This build has reached a stage of never ending fettling and just needed a break and used to simply like the way this Ringbom just gently tapped away .
The first job was to cut the hot cap from a test tube and a spare as Im sure to crack at least one
The glass cutter is from a design by Jan Ridders with a few mods to use what I had in stock and has worked well for years
So a little start has been made I need to learn how to place pics in text
best wishes

Attachments

• PIC_0002.JPG
    PIC_0002.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 317
  • PIC_0004.JPG
    PIC_0004.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 377
  • PIC_0006.JPG
    PIC_0006.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 327
  • PIC_0007.JPG
    PIC_0007.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 299
Next up is the upright
I dont have DRO kit fitted to my machines and to be blunt the machine is that worn its just not worth the effort to fit
So the part was marked out just so I can see if Iv made a blunder as Im drilling the holes from a reference and counting the feed screw turns
PIC_0011.JPG PIC_0013.JPG PIC_0015.JPG
Next up will be the bearing housing and as I dont have the correct bearings Im going to increase the housings dia just to use what I have. It has been roughly clocked in
cheers

The main bearing housing was bored to give a light sliding fit for the bearings then faced.This will be the bolting flange as I now know its square to the bore
The part was then glued onto a mandrel and the rest of the machining done
PIC_0018.JPG PIC_0020.JPG PIC_0022.JPG
So the first two parts now bolt together

The heat sink was bored to fit the test tube and a departure from the drawings Iv fitted an O ring seal as I simply dont like gluing the tubes into the unit
This was then glued onto a mandrel and the fins turned using a cross slide depth stop as it saves me at least from over shooting on the depth
Then onto the base and just used a router cutter to form the edge although it will need a bit of cleaning up it worked well enough for me
PIC_0030.JPG PIC_0031.JPG PIC_0033.JPG PIC_0034.JPG

Once the burner was finished and its position found the base was set up on the face plate and machined
The hot cap fitted after making a simple alloy displacor
PIC_0041.JPG PIC_0039.JPG

So we have a runner
Guess thats all .Iv not gone into a lot of detail as it simply takes me too long for a subject that has little interest but if you have any questions Im only to happy to try and answer them
The engine just needs a bit of bling then she can join the collection

kind regards
frazer

it may not seem that no one is following but i have been watching this build from the start , my time to start doing is not for a couple of years , but this site keeps me going . i also follow brian every day . you guy's are way beyond me but hope to catch up

i have built a couple of stirling engines but not a ringbom well done and runs great congrats

Back