Howell V4 from Italy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced TIM 6 with CDI scooter, hiding the trigger under the flywheel
This type of CDI has the automatic advance adjustable with trimmer, my setting has excluded the automatism.
View attachment 110622 View attachment 110623 View attachment 110624
Hi I am now learning about using this cdi unit. I discovered this dc cdi unit after working on a fourstroke scooter at work and I thought this would be an interesting project to see if I my could work with a distributor on my inline four engine. One thing that came to mind was the auto advance curve. I was wondering if the engine rotation direction has to be the same as the original engine that the cdi unit was from. Would this effect the advance curve making it a retarding curve if the rotation was incorrect? Also please could you tell me how you disabled he auto advance. Many thanks!

Hi I am now learning about using this cdi unit. I discovered this dc cdi unit after working on a fourstroke scooter at work and I thought this would be an interesting project to see if I my could work with a distributor on my inline four engine. One thing that came to mind was the auto advance curve. I was wondering if the engine rotation direction has to be the same as the original engine that the cdi unit was from. Would this effect the advance curve making it a retarding curve if the rotation was incorrect? Also please could you tell me how you disabled he auto advance. Many thanks!

I suggest you to adjust the CDI trimmer to the minimum, anticlockwise rotation so as not to have any advance.
You choose the advance by adjusting the position of the pick up, then block its position.
The direction of rotation of the motor has no influence on CDI, it works both anticlockwise and clockwise with the same advance.
You can test with a cordless drill, gluing a small piece of steel on the spindle with adhesive tape,
start the drill at maximum and minimum rpm very close to the pick up, and see with the stroboscopic lamp and a cardboard disc with a sign, how the CDI works.
These CDI has been designed for a single cylinder engine, if you install it on a 4 cylinder, when the engine starts, the pick up reads a multiplied number of revolutions and the advance starts even with the engine at the minimum rpm.
You can see some tests on Youtube
Good job and good day

I suggest you to adjust the CDI trimmer to the minimum, anticlockwise rotation so as not to have any advance.
You choose the advance by adjusting the position of the pick up, then block its position.
The direction of rotation of the motor has no influence on CDI, it works both anticlockwise and clockwise with the same advance.
You can test with a cordless drill, gluing a small piece of steel on the spindle with adhesive tape,
start the drill at maximum and minimum rpm very close to the pick up, and see with the stroboscopic lamp and a cardboard disc with a sign, how the CDI works.
These CDI has been designed for a single cylinder engine, if you install it on a 4 cylinder, when the engine starts, the pick up reads a multiplied number of revolutions and the advance starts even with the engine at the minimum rpm.
You can see some tests on Youtube
Good job and good day
Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I did wonder if the advance would start very early as the cdi is seeing more triggers per revolution than the advance is designed for so it would advance earlier. Thank you again. Very helpful!

Back