Howell V-Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot see that bit of plastic lasting very long.
I've put that same pump in six different gasoline engines (including a Howell V2 and V4) over the past dozen years or so and have never had a bit of trouble with any of them. One will likely end up in the Offy that I'm currently building. - Terry

Yes, well I didn't refer to how many but rather how long it will last.
Many engines rarely get used, most sit on a display bench and start every now and then.

Yes, well I didn't refer to how many but rather how long it will last.
Many engines rarely get used, most sit on a display bench and start every now and then.
I've got bits of plastic that get used every day and are years old - not all plastic is junk.

I have often read about using citric acid for a pickle/ cleaner. and substitute for sulfuric
I have some citric acid in powder form with instructions for use in cooking, can anyone give me a clue as to mixing ratio for our use?

Last time I made a batch for pickling I just put a bunch into some DI water. Citric is a 'weak' acid (so doesn't fully dissociate in solution) so it should be difficult to get too 'strong' a solution to cause any issues. I don't remember the ratios I used but I'd start with a couple of tablespoons of powder into a cup of water and see how that goes.

I use citric acid for de-rusting, by dissolving as much as I can in water. As Cogsy says, you can't make it too strong.
Also popular with my wife for removing limescale from shower, taps, kettle etc. It's always good to find a 'domestic' use for workshop requirements - helps to keep the peace!

Thanks guys, I will give it ago.
I have always used vinegar with a little salt added ( when ever it is quoted it is always "a little salt') A friend how has good knowledge of chemistry tells the salt is bad for steel and all it does in the vinegar is to speed up the process.
Thanks again

The aluminum parts are clear anodized. I use sand paper and a Scotch-Brite pad to remove machining marks before I sent them out to be anodized.
Nice done!! I love the fine matte finish of your pieces

Latest posts

Back