Howell V-Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to cut them to the circumference plus the gap rather than cut them to the cylinder diameter and split them.

If I understand this correctly you plan on making the rings oversize so you can remove the section where the split is, rather than split and spread? If you do this then your rings will be out of round once you compress them into the bore and you'll have the same issue you have now.

I make mine by cutting them to the bore size, splitting them and inserting a wedge into the gap to spread them. Then place them on a body washer held in the vice jaws and heat the whole lot to uniform cherry red, hold it for 60 seconds then let cool naturally. I don't get perfect sealing straight away, but enough compression to run, then they bed in after 10 minutes or so of running and compression is good.

Thanks, Al. I posted that after I read an article in MEB on the subject but yesterday evening I cut new rings and decided to turn them to bore size. It's interesting to hear the arguments for each method of making rings, it's all about perspective it seems. Anyway I am going to make a fixture to clamp them following the "Trimble Method". The drawing calls for a .150" gap, I'm going to just use 5/32" so I don't have to order anything special. I hope to post more pictures soon.

Cheers!

Piston_Broke
For future reference you must really clean your metal surfaces prior to any plating. By that I mean a pickle like citric acid (canning section of food market) which is cheaper and just as effective as sulfuric acid. Wire brush parts to make sure all oxide has been removed and pickle again. Then you have to scrub the parts in a warm detergent solution with a brush until the rinse water sheets off the parts. If any water beads on the surfaces, it isn't clean enough for plating. Once absolutely clean, rinse in distilled water and gently blow dry. Do not touch any parts to be plated with your bare fingers after the pickle. Use rubber or nitrile gloves.

You have a lot of nice work done so far. Don't be tempted to try any of those rings that show even the slightest light on their circumference like your photo. You will be disappointed. Use the link in Jerry's plans to make your rings. This method requires some additional work, but the results are worth it. Lap the top and bottom ring surfaces on a flat surface to a nice sheen, and to adjust your ring side clearance in the piston grooves to .0005". Gap to be .002" - .003". Also, use a brake bleeder vacuum pump (Harbor Freight) to check your valve seats for leakage. You should be able to pump them down to 25" of Hg and then see only a very slow leak down. No leak down is even better. You need good fitting valve guides and oil them with #30 wt oil for sealing the guides during testing. Good fitting piston rings and valves solve a multitude of perceived new engine starting issues.
Jeff

How did you go fitting the cm-6 spark plugs ?
I can cut a couple of fins as per drawing still difficult to get a socket on the plug
Trying to source a 10 mm hex but the electrode lengths are to long on the k series plugs . Looking good as a door stop.

Well, it's been a while since I worked on the engine. I've been traveling for work quite a bit last winter and this spring/summer so I'm getting the itch to finish this! I ended up getting my details professionally nickel plated, my attempts were just causing me headaches. It was well worth $110. I have virtually all the parts done and am in the semi final build stage. Still need to finish the base and make a fuel tank. I'm just happy to be into it again, trying to remember where I left off. Cheers!
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

It's been quite some time since my last post! I'm very happy to say I've had the engine running, well, at least one cylinder. I had carburetor issues on one side. After doing some cleanup work to both carbs I tried another trial run. My next issue is that my fuel pump no longer works. I bought a small pump meant for Nitro engines, it is not compatible with gasoline however. So, any recommendations on a small, inexpensive fuel pump that works for gasoline?

For the nickel plating: I have used a Caswell kit for plating numerous and quite large motorcycle parts. I used the electroless process, which gives nice, consistent results provided the instructions are followed and the chemicals topped up appropriately after each part is plated.

Any advice on a 12V gasoline fuel pump for this engine would be greatly appreciated. The one I had was for nitro fuel and failed during the second run.
If you can still access Perry Pumps, they made a series of pumps to suit gas or alcohol fuels.
Both in the pressure tap operation or the vibration mode where the latter is set at right angles to the crank.

Link here........
Perry Pumps - Pumps

Back