Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus,
I look forward to hearing it run!
Art

Gus

Best of luck with the starting. I really like the clamps on your plug leads as well as your box. The engine is the best part though.

Buchanan from Moss Vale.

Gus, Congrats on this build, looks great!

On a side note (and apologies for putting it in this thread), This Saturday I am heading to Singapore for two weeks for work (I will be commuting out to Johor each day).

Is there anything mechanical/hobby related i should try see during my time there, or any machine/tool shops to browse

Much appreciated,
Kevin

Gus

Best of luck with the starting. I really like the clamps on your plug leads as well as your box. The engine is the best part though.

Buchanan from Moss Vale.

Hi Buch.

Went to Bandanoon to visit my old ''92'' boss and they took me to Mossvale for Lunch. We had FlatHead Fillet. World Best. FlatHead is not our favourite fish but there after and whatever we hooked,went home for fillet dishes. See you sometime when I drop by again.

Gus, Congrats on this build, looks great!

On a side note (and apologies for putting it in this thread), This Saturday I am heading to Singapore for two weeks for work (I will be commuting out to Johor each day).

Is there anything mechanical/hobby related i should try see during my time there, or any machine/tool shops to browse

Much appreciated,
Kevin

Hi.

I am out of touch now after retiring for 16 years. Found it easier to buy from internet. There is nothing cmparable with MachineryHouse. Homely which used to have everything packed shop last year. Buy I will call my network friends to troll for info. HupHong Machinery is a small outlet and very expensive.

Johore.
The causeway can be badly jammed. Best to avoid the morning/evening rush.
Holiday and pre-holiday also bad.

Gus--I see you posting pictures of your engine on facebook, but we all want to know---Does it run???

Hi Brian.

Other than the false starts,I am getting nowhere. You will the first to know. There has been a pretty lot of goofs/mess. Now reading '' Constructing the Nemtt-Lynx'' which has lotsa info. Seems my engine building skill and start ups gone backwards. Sigh.

Sighhh,

I hate you guys, (not really) but......

Dam I take my hat off to the talented lot who have enough skill and machinery to do these builds.

If not to rude a question what is the cost and worth of a completed build, I've not seen many of these types of builds being sold, and the odd one or two going for what I would class as silly prices. I may be wrong in my assumption or how I value some things and would love to be educated in how to value and price some builds.

I work with a CnC bass reliefs simple Simon stuff and have always admired the skill time and effort that goes into some of these engines. I'm sure like many things once you've built your first dozen things move quicker better and more cost effective like most things.

My collection of steam engines, steam powered boat, hot air, flame lickers and various things like gyroscopes pulled out of altimeters and the like from real planes only because I'm curious.

You will notice also, I'm not good enough to build them I can only buy and appreciate someone else's handiwork.

The one thing I don't have in my collection of odds and sods is an IC, why I have these engines is so the Grandkids when they come about they have an alternative to the standard ninja turtle toys etc, no iPhone, Ipad, not that I have anything against technology which I love - I have a keyboard plastered to my fingers.

I like them to play with the models I have learning how to maintain them start them and have them try to work out how and why they work, clean and polish them after playing with them, what I would class as lifetime toys.

I can never seem to fall over what seems to be a common selling phrase on eBay.. Barn find, left to me by my father and I have no interest, my late Uncles, given too me and I don't want it.. and the one I hate seeing the most is "my late husbands" obviously the other partner had no interest at all and is cashing in (all with a healthy price tag)..

If anyone has any directions to one of these type of barns, I'd love to find one that someone no longer wants or needs some tinkering to get it going again.

In the meantime in appreciation of all you builders out there I love seeing your work and wish I could do the same.

I hate you all (affectionately) please excuse my rant.

Cheers and avagreatday,
Steve

Curiosity--In terms of cost to the builder, for an engine like Gus has built figure about $300.00 to $400.00 for material. For a much simpler engine like the "Rupnow Vertical Engine", figure about $100.00 in materials. However--In terms of the hours involved in making one of these engines---You can't afford it. The Rupnow engine has about 120 hours involved in the actual machining and assembly and 30 hours of design time. At $30 an hour (which is damn cheap for machining) that comes to $4500 plus material. For Gus's engine, I would expect Gus to have at least 600 hours of labour into it, so figure about $18,000 plus material. However---there isn't a big market out there for these engines. When Gus and I die, our wives will do extremely well if they can get $300 to $1000 for the engines on Ebay.---Brian

Curiosity--In terms of cost to the builder, for an engine like Gus has built figure about $300.00 to $400.00 for material. For a much simpler engine like the "Rupnow Vertical Engine", figure about $100.00 in materials. However--In terms of the hours involved in making one of these engines---You can't afford it. The Rupnow engine has about 120 hours involved in the actual machining and assembly and 30 hours of design time. At $30 an hour (which is damn cheap for machining) that comes to $4500 plus material. For Gus's engine, I would expect Gus to have at least 600 hours of labour into it, so figure about $18,000 plus material. However---there isn't a big market out there for these engines. When Gus and I die, our wives will do extremely well if they can get $300 to $1000 for the engines on Ebay.---Brian

Hi Brian,

Over here in Singapore,the six engines I built will only have scrap value but will be very good paper weight. I have your H&M Engine at my computer desk as a ''Mascot'' and Trophy.
With my ''70'' sister down with stroke,I am now staring at old age creeping on me and hence I will maxing my surplus time in the machineshop. When I get bed-ridden,I will have happy memories as a angler and engine builder.Meanwhile there's too much distraction but I made the Cable Harness with Hall Device crimped on and heat shrink sleeve. Paul Swift is busy with his kidney campaigs and his V-4 is temporary shelved. Come next week will try getting V-2 spinning. Gordon was right .V-2 Engine is jinxed.Ha ha Ha.
Take care.

Hey Brian G'day,

Well Brian you know what they say only the good die young...

I hope you are as bad as they come and live forever.
Thank you for the run down, build time I never account for that when I am creating a design only because if I did I'd never sell anything.

So It would be safe to assume that you do it because you can and have a love for making such items and definitely not for the money.

Thanks for the run down its much appreciated.

Cheers Steve...

I love the machines absolutely brilliant hope you all make many more..

Hey Gus,

I am sorry to hear about your Sister, she is indeed lucky to have someone look after her.

Its sad that your models are paper weights, I am sure you say that affectionately and that they would be not considered scrap value. I couldn't image machines like the ones I have seen being built in this thread as scrap.

If you have a link with your engines displayed would love to have a look at them.

Hopefully your lot changes and luck gives you a smile.

I have at least something in common with you and that is fishing..

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Gus,

I am sorry to hear about your Sister, she is indeed lucky to have someone look after her.

Its sad that your models are paper weights, I am sure you say that affectionately and that they would be not considered scrap value. I couldn't image machines like the ones I have seen being built in this thread as scrap.

If you have a link with your engines displayed would love to have a look at them.

Hopefully your lot changes and luck gives you a smile.

I have at least something in common with you and that is fishing..

Cheers,
Steve

Will make a post shortly on the Hall Device Harness. On FaceBook you fren ""Augustine Teng'' to see the fishy posts made every weekend. Today is bad. No fish bite.

Found you, handsome young fella with grey hair and scarf... Cheers,

Look forward to your post.

Steve

Found you, handsome young fella with grey hair and scarf... Cheers,

Look forward to your post.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Taken in Nanjing,China 2010 when I was consultant at a small air compressor plant.
The heating system kaput and I had to put on a scarf to help out. Wet cold at 2 C no fun. Being able to speak Chinese fluently was great help. The Chinese names for parts took me a while. Ha ha

Hi HMEM Folks .
Gus is back on the horse chasing completion and test run of the Howell V-2 Engine with domestic problems settled. A full time Care Giver Maid employed to look after my ''stroked'' Sister Tris and taking over my laundry duties which has been upsetting my engine building. OK Now for the serious engine building.

Hall Effect Device and Cable Harness.
Thought I was smart enough to soft solder harness to the device and ended up destroying 6 device and ordered another 10 pcs to make two Harness. The Device is a transistor which is very sensitive to excessive heat.
After 6 failures, I went on to crimping. Tried using crimping pliers and they are usually too big. Had to make a crimping tool.Took some trial and errors to successfully made a pair of harness which performed well with good strong sparks.

IMG_2339 (1).jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2344 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Gus
The elbow from the gear case to the crankcase a bit tricky
I'll be happy to bolt it altogether if it runs that's a bonus

Gus
The elbow from the gear case to the crankcase a bit tricky
I'll be happy to bolt it altogether if it runs that's a bonus

Hi Geo.

No worries. I have the chance to make a new gear case. Aligning the crankcase and gear case so a to mate the elbow was tough. I had the crankcase hole plugged and drilled and got it spot on.

Will be back on the work bench to start and run engine. This is after frying the umpteenth Hall Device and circuit boards. Earthing the plug and Ignition Board is a must to prevent frying Hall Device and boards. The Dry run with two new Hall Device Harnesses was good. Hall Devices were crimped on to cables and insulator sleeves. When installing Harness on to Sensor Housing,please make a handle bar and have harness cable strapped to prevent device breakage.
Its more 24 months now and about to see light at the end of the tunnel. Just bought a 13mm non-cordless drill to start engine. Cordless batteries tend to run down fast. Hopefully with this engine under my belt, and having picked up so much from my goofs,I will the better man to build other engines. Two stroke engines look simple but call for unforgiving precision machining and lapping.
Good Luck.

Back