Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
About to jump in to build this engine later this year. But before deciding to so,Gus has to get some assurance that he is not alone and there must be forum members who done so and succeeded and he can view their threads and ''Monkey see,Monkey do"".
Drawing bought on-lineand now being studied carefully as Gus is a
"sure to goof" at reading dimensions and fits. Mini lathe and mini mill can just about do it. The Nemett-Lynx Engine did stretch my mini machine-tools and my beginners skill.

The Howell V-4 is but a dream to build with my existing machine-tools.

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

Last edited:
I have built several of Jerrys model and bought the plans for more. The drawings are all excellent and the write up is generally very good. If you read carefully you should be able to make any of his models.

Reactions: gus
I've never built one Gus, but I know you'll get it done. I'll be watching with interest.

Edit: It's a good looking engine. I just may use your build thread as a reference in the future when I build one.

Gus,
Jerry Howell's V-twin was the very first IC engine I ever built. It fired right up and has been running ever since. You can see it here:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=McRGRD4lQY4[/ame]

The drawings are clear and easy to follow and from what I've seen of your other builds you should have no problem. I also built the V-4. It was my second IC engine. It is a considerably more difficult build, and the drawings must be religiously followed. There are a lot of close dimensions and close fitting parts. I like to make my own modifications to the builds I do, but every time I made a change to this one I got burned. The exhaust manifold castings are no longer available but I made my own. You can also see this engine running here:

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tEWLgS1Q9eY[/ame]

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the kind advice and encouragement. Am glad I went from building the Webster,Rupnow H&M and Nemett-Lynx Engines and the skills and experience acquired,will hopefully armed Gus to the teeth to jump in. Looks like a 12----18 months' project. Off and On will study all drawings to get a ''bottle full'' before plunging in. (''Bottle Full'' is Aussie and my Aussie Mates will enlighten.) My Aussie boss gave me an Instruction Book on a huge Ingersoll-Rand Chiller Dryer and asked me to come back with a ''bottle full'' to discuss before I take off to Indonesia to start up dryer.

Gus - almost right mate - the saying is to be a 'full bottle'. It means to be an expert about something, or to know all about it.

I was browsing Youtube to see if I could find videos of the V2 when I came across Terry Mayhugh's video, so I came back here to see if he had a build thread for you. Turns out he beat me to it :p.

I have great confidence that you can do it Gus, you need to progress to another challenge so you can put to use those skills you learnt on the previous build.

Paul.

I have great confidence that you can do it Gus, you need to progress to another challenge so you can put to use those skills you learnt on the previous build.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
With this engine,I plan to study drawings diligently/carefully,take notes,make high lights etc. The goofs with Nemett-Lynx Engine still haunts me and fortunately the goofs were forgiveable and easily rectified and if not reworked or make new piece. What scarce me is the cluster or imperial timing gears which I have to convert to metric. The KG Gear Master Catalogue sure comes in handy.Have to upgrade the DIY RT to have Indexing Dividing Plates to cut 32t and 21t. As I said will be a 9-------12 months project. May I quote--------" Biting Elephant job by mini size bits.

Just be careful when converting the imperial gears to metric ones, you will have to have the same centre distance or do a lot of modification to the dimensions.

Paul.

Just be careful when converting the imperial gears to metric ones, you will have to have the same centre distance or do a lot of modification to the dimensions.

Paul.

Hi Paul.

You are correct.
Plan to try out on a trial plate with gears installed and hand spin.
Select the nearest equivalent metric gears. The gear cutter may a problem but will cross the bridges when I come to them. At most go for a slightly bigger gear case/box. Jerry Howell has kind of made it into a nearly scary planetary gear train at first glance.I flunk this test question during my 3rd year in Poly. Hence Planetary Phobia. We now have 6 Polys in small Singapore to supply technicians and engineers for industries.I am so envious,they have up to date high tech machine tools and CAD and CadCam.
Ari and Tasha.
Both will be allowed access to their battery-operated pencil sharpeners once weekly by their mum,Monica. Bought them each a 36 piece Colour Pencil Set.
Thats plenty pencils to sharpen.Both landed their first trout at a kiddy fishing pond somewhere nearby Melbourne. Mum cooked it them and must their best fishy dinner.;)

Hi Terry,
I got into mess and burnt when I jumped in with some mods and ended up with misfit parts on the Nemett-Lynx Engine.:wall::hDe:
Malcom gave us some very unforgiving dimensions that we must follow religiously or face capital punishment. Had to redo the outerhead and related parts. The outerhead was really a sub-assembly with many parts.This was a good lesson. Malcom's drawings can be hard to read and followed and followed we must.

I am dreaming on your radial engines. I have worked on Ingersoll-Rand 100 horsepwer Radial Compressors delivering 5000 psig for the oil rigs.Rig sanked and compressors came in bits and pieces in a crate. Took us a month to complete.
Take Care , Maestro.

Last edited:
Ari and Tasha.
Both will be allowed access to their battery-operated pencil sharpeners once weekly by their mum,Monica. Bought them each a 36 piece Colour Pencil Set.
Thats plenty pencils to sharpen.Both landed their first trout at a kiddy fishing pond somewhere nearby Melbourne. Mum cooked it them and must their best fishy dinner.;)

Rationing them is a great idea, otherwise the pencils will soon be gone. I've watched children at trout farms catching their first fish, I was just as excited as the children.

Paul.

Rationing them is a great idea, otherwise the pencils will soon be gone. I've watched children at trout farms catching their first fish, I was just as excited as the children.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
Come this Christmas,Ari and Tasha will get Shimano Spinner and Rods from GrandPa Gus. Hooked fingers will be another story. Scrambled lines on the spool another story.Telescopic travel rods should be fine.

Gus just jumped into the cold water and now not so cold with HMEM Forum Members' warm support.
Material came in amd all for S$120 About US$100.
Will work on the crankcase next and take extreme care and caution as this a base for sub-assemblies. Been going over the crankcase prints umpteenth times and the work procedure rewritten a dozen time. The Nemett-Lynx Engine have taught me well. Patience and detail.No rush.No Gamble. If you don't the vital tool ,buy or DIY one, do not ever mess around with a bad tool. As usual, the mini Sakai Lathe and Sakai Mill again overstretched. Gus's machining skill and patience also overstretched.
Was a bit overdone with bar stocks.

IMG_2719.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you underway with another project Gus I just love your tenacious approach to the job.
I will be watching

Brian.

Day One.
Turned crankcase blank. As usual stretched the mini lathe to the very outer limit. Swing over bed was just enough for square blank. Four jaw chuck also stretched likewise. Four jaw independent chucks are known for their good chucking power. For a while was quite worried with blank falling out and took precaution with light depth cuts.This was reason why blank facing took half day. Made a mistake of too much allowance on cut blank thickness.11 mm metal to face off took half day.Thickness of blank trimmed to 2.187'' is quite an achievement for Gus. Hopefully I will continue to make no mistakes on crankcase. Will take a week or longer to complete crankcase or maybe longer. Do it right the first time and every time with dedicated cutter.

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

Latest posts

Back