Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gear Type Lube Oil Pump.
Above will not prime if the gears are not closely meshed and excessive clearance between pump wall and gear tip.Managed to make a near perfect proto type which could self prime and pump oil. With the gear shaft center distance done satisfactorily,I could use pump body as drilling jig.

IMG_1175.jpg

Last edited:
CounterBoring the cavity to hold both gears.

W/o DRO I had to make a jig in order to get counterbore perfectly centered on gear shaft holes. Jig Bushing was made with material from scrap bin and case harden using Brownells Case Hardening Compound. C/bore diameter changed to 8mm as I have gone metric to Module 0.5 x 14 t. The gear meshing turned to be as required. Depth of C/Bore was set with quill down to bottom dead end to get the 0.805 depth. Actual depth cut was slight short and had to cut by hand rotate. A power cut with hand feed may over cut depth.

IMG_1174.jpg

Pump Casing.

Best to do scribing using Digital Height Gage. Jerry's print dimensions such centre distances and angles was taken serioulsy.I took short cuts and ended up with dud and heartache. Centre punching is critical to get all holes done spot on. Any slight deviation won't . This part is very unforgiving. I messed up three pcs.Pump Casing done to print and sanded down to get flat mating faces.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Pump Testing

With the gear shaft center distance done right and the counterbores to depth,fitting went smoothly though I must admit there were some slight bumps to turn over. Pump did self-primed and pumped oil to a pressure head of 10'' though deep down in me ,15------20'' is not ruled out. But the acid test would pumping copius qty of lube oil to cams and shafts and the con rods,journals and splash lube to cylinder walls.

IMG_1208.jpg

Gus--I still follow your posts, and it's nice to know that I have a kindred spirit on the far side of the world. I fully understand the "burn out" syndrome. I have built one too many small engines in the past year, and although I will probably soon want to get back into my small machine shop, I think it will be to build something other than a small engine.--Brian Rupnow

Gus--I still follow your posts, and it's nice to know that I have a kindred spirit on the far side of the world. I fully understand the "burn out" syndrome. I have built one too many small engines in the past year, and although I will probably soon want to get back into my small machine shop, I think it will be to build something other than a small engine.--Brian Rupnow

Hi Brian,

Nice to know we both have same problem----------burnt-out. I tend to use my brain a wee bitty too much. Taking the problem to bed tends to overwork the brain. With lube pump done,self-priming and pumping lube oil,I will sleep very well tonight. I am making a new gear case and cutting metric gear train. Will take a week or so just to cut the gear case blank. Hopefully by June and latest July ,the Howell V-2 Engine completed and running.
Trust all us well.

Make New Gear Case

Not very happy with the very first gear case which I messed ,misreading the drawings. Not so sure it will undermine the engine performance.

The Makita BandSaw decided to go on strike. Saw Blade broke and Gus had to go back to manual hacksaw which took and hour. Blank was cut square. With lots of cutting fluid, the sawing was made easier and smooth.

Back end of Gear Case done and oil groove and oil ring groove done to make Jerry Howell happy. Dimensional requirements best as per print to avoid misfit and scrap.

Its confirmed,all lazy bones removed and Gus back to metal bashing. Am glad i took time off.

Put another hour's work to bore the gear case to receive the main bearing. Bored to 0.827'' ID as per Jerry's drawing and the half cranksahaft bearing fit in snugly. Two weeks ago put a 4 watt LED Light. I am impressed with the light output.

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Last edited:
I broke a drill bit in the gear case drilling the oil gallery's it's now a paperweight
I make it a rule not to do any machining after I've been on night shift thought I'd just face off some material for a new gear case locked up the power feed destroyed the mechanism In the apron and one gear in the head stock oh well fools who break there own rules.

I broke a drill bit in the gear case drilling the oil gallery's it's now a paperweight
I make it a rule not to do any machining after I've been on night shift thought I'd just face off some material for a new gear case locked up the power feed destroyed the mechanism In the apron and one gear in the head stock oh well fools who break there own rules.

Hi Geo.
I have this worry too. Best to have brand new good drills. The M.I.C. aka ''Made in China'' drills are very risky. Best to use highest spindle speed and do the drill/retrieve often to prevent drill breakage. New drills must be checked to ensure cutting edge is good.
At ''73'' my mind gets tired and distracted and I take pee/tea breaks to refresh.
The last cut can kill the work piece. No worry. After some scrapped parts,I am now more cautious and not repeating the wrong steps. As the HMEM Vets
say----------------The Howell V-2 Engine is not meant for faint hearted to build. I scrapped 4 carbs before getting to good carbs. No worry. Take time. I am now into the 15 month.

Centering the Gear Case Blank.

Wasted 30 mins using the dial gage. In desperation, I went over to use my DIY scribing block and job piece centered in 5 minutes. A spin

confirmed centering well done by eye ball check. Took the whole morning to complete the front half of gear case. ODs,IDs,depths and thickness spot on. Took frequent pee/tea breaks to stay well rested and alert. Made a small heap of swarfs.

Its Saturday tommorrow and Gus gone fiiiishhhhhhhhhhhhinnnng.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Last edited:
Gus,
Have a good day fishing. I am still following along, and am glad that you are posting photos. It looks like you are making good progress.
Art

Gus,
Have a good day fishing. I am still following along, and am glad that you are posting photos. It looks like you are making good progress.
Art

Hi Art,
Took a good break to recover from burnt-out. And the seven itch is back. The oil pump and gear case had to be redone. Made too many fatal errors. Both sub-assemblies were very unforgiving. The pinion gears had to be good. And the pump body had some vital fit requirements. Gear meshing must quite close with very minute gap and the clearance between gear tip and pump wall slight turning fit. Not meeting all these means no lube oil pumping.
Messed up the gear case. New Gear Case made to print. Will take a week or two to complete Gear Case Sub-Assembly.
Fishing today wasn't best but we had good company and a cooler day. The silty water spoiled the day's fishing.

Gus,
Art

Hi Art K,

There was a long weekend last week. Gus hooked nothing big but my fishy friends had a great time while Gus was busy taking fotos/videos. Battling this 30 pounder Cobia was a 10 min. vicious fight using a Light Jigging Rod.

IMG_1245.jpg

That's a nice fish Gus - I dream of catching a cobia some day, and hopefully on light gear as well.

Hi Al,

A PE 2---3 Spinner Rod with a good reel will do the job but Cobias are full of fight till gaffed. Leave in the sea for a while allows it to recover to another lightning dive. It was a 5 min. no holds fight. The weekend fishing is three days away. Please feel free to go into my FB . Address is Augustine Teng to see the fight. Red Snapper will give up in mid water but the initial fight is equally vicious. Take care.

Last edited:
Gear Case Cover.

Took 30 mins of heaving and panting to cut blank.
Took 2 hours to cut Blank Cover. All ODs are to print. Will bore bearing hole tomorrow. ID and depth is critical and not forgiving.
Taking my sweet time with ample tea/pee breaks. Another big heap of swarfs to remove.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Gear Case Cover

Measuring 2.74 OD x 0.375 thick, cover is a vital part for Ger Case Sub-assembly. Hole for off-set bearing was bore to tight push fit and concentric with the Cover OD. Groove for oil ring done to 0.62'' deep as per print. While having done a good job on the ODs,IDs and thickness,neglected the cover finishing.Guess I could blame it on not so good eye sight with Glaucoma right eye. Took my sweet time that is 2 mornings to machine Cover and plenty of tea/pee breaks. But there is one minor goof. Bearing Hole is 0.070 too deep. A spacer will correct the issue.

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Crankshaft Retainer.

Work proceeded at snail pace. Cut and fit spacers to ensure Tail-Shaft Main Bearing is located/fitted as per print.
TailShaft (Mini) Retainer 3/8 OD x 0.65 thick required patience. Scrapped one pce. Trying out the countersunk and removing the 6-32 Countersink Flat Screw required some caution. If same falls off into the chip pan,it will as good as gone. I have only one pce.Put in a paper tray to catch same.Mother Mary was there for insurance. Nothing lost.Amen. Sub-assemby fitted up. Took 3 1/2 hours work with nothing much to look at. I have a mini TailShaft Cover to do and that will be next week. Its weekend fiiiisssshhhhing tomorrow.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

TailShaft Cover.
Jerry Howell's Engines have many mini parts and you have to take your sweet time making these parts.
Spent an hour making new spacer washer to refit TailShaft End to fit into Gear Case Cover and also to enough recess to accept subject Cover. Turning to required OD and paper thin thickness was easy but the parting off was very slow and full of suspense.With job overhung,there was the danger of seizing and flying out. Took many shallow parting cuts. Same cover fit in good and snug. Was a 3 hour job with no rush. Next week will move on to finishing up the too many details on the Gear Case and most of them finger nail biting. Any one wrong cut and job is scrapped and another paper weight.

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Gear Case sub-assembly with TailShaft & Bearing

Had the Cover sanded/cleansed and Gear Case and TailShaft sub-assemblies fitted together to check for minimum axial play and free spinning. Bearing was a bit scratchy. Both assemblies were mounted on crankcase with no obstruction. Somehow when I don't go fishing on Saturday,I get more work done. Will replace scatchy bearing. For next week with machine Gear Case to fit oil pump and timing gear trains. Will be a week's work.

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Back