Howell "Beamer" Stirling Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhitee93

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever built the "Beamer" Stirling engine from the plans offered by Jerry Howell?

http://www.jerry-howell.com/Beamer.html

The engine looks attractive, but I didn't find anything with a search here, and only got a few vague references with google.

Does the governor do anything? I don't know what a governor would do on a Stirling engine, but then again I don't really know anything about them...

Thanks!

I plan on building a "beamer" engine this winter. I don't think that the governor is used to control the engine. It is only for looks.

Thanks guys. I found a few examples with more google searches, but no videos. I did confirm that the governor is for looks only.

I have the plans on the way. This may distract me from doing the Upshur next... :rolleyes:

I have built 2. 1 from the casting kit, no longer available. And 1 from stock. The governor is ornamental only.
You must build well and frictionless. I like that a little alcohol flame can be so entertaining. The belt drive is a
thin rubber band that has to be replaced with age. I haven't found a low enough friction alternative.
I could post pictures and video If I knew how to not break the rules.

Latest posts

Back