Howdy Guys!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
It was requested that I do an introduction thread and I'm happy to oblige.

My name is Austin and I live in San Marcos, Texas. I'm a family man first and foremost. I have a 2 week old son and a four year old daughter. They take up most of my time. My wife is a stay at home mother, but will probably get a job once the kids are in school.

Aside from that, my life is pretty typical. I change a lot of diapers and don't sleep a heck of a lot. I love every moment of it though and we still have yet to decide if we're going to have any more.

I have many hobbies. First, I'm really into prepping. Mainly food supplies. I see self-reliance as important, so I am teaching my wife and kids the same and actually admin a site where that is the main focus.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/

I also play Airsoft with friends when I can. I haven't had an opportunity to play as much as I used to, but I love weekends camping and playing. It was very much the highlight of my youth and I look forward to getting my kids involved.

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/

I'm also a huge DIYer. If I can do it myself, I will. With that in mind, I have a few sites I admin that I started after not finding the friendly reception to new members I thought was warranted online.

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/

http://www.paintingforum.com/forum/

Painting Forum was just started so there's still some room for growth, but I'm quite glad with how it's moving so far and the friendly nature of the site.

There are more sites but that is the rundown.

When I find myself interested in something, I look to forums for information. When I find a stumbling block, I often create a new forum in order to make up for what I feel to be the shortcomings of other forums.

The number one affliction I see online is hostility towards beginners. We all had to start somewhere and I don't understand why those who know sometimes refuse to be of any assistance.

In my personal life I own chickens, namely Rhode Island Reds, and I feel that ties into my self-reliant need.

http://www.chickenforum.com/forum.php

All of the sites listed will give you a great idea of how I interact with communities and what to expect from my administration.

Aside from the forums, I love to cook. I spent most of my life in the kitchens running various restaurants from behind the counter, and recently was lucky enough to turn forums into a job. For years they had been side projects, much like Rick.

It's really been a fantastic ride and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

So that's it. I'm not a machinist, or a mechanic. I'm here to learn as it's something I'm interested in.

If you ever have any questions about who I am or what I'm doing, please let me know. I hope to be accepted into the community and to provide you all with the sort of innovation that allows communities like yours to grow, and facilitate an overall better experience.

You need a co-worker :) I had a baby on the 15th, will be losing my job at the end of the year and I run a vBulletin forum aswell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the intro Austin, when you aren't changing diapers, you must eat, sleep and dream forums :). Anyway, as I have said elsewhere, I am hanging in here and will hope that things settle somewhat as the uncertainties are addressed and resolved. Welcome !!

Bill

Hello Austin,

Good luck with the forum. It has always been a helpful and interesting group. Thanks for the introduction.

Your children will keep you busy, but they are a treasure.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Welcome from me too. I have 10 grandkids, 9 boys, 1 girl,from my 3 daughters! I am a home machinist, RV er, dirt track racer, m,cyclist, and expired pilot.
Good luck on your new endeavor, both at home with your kids and on here.

Thanks for the intro. Like Bill, I am in for the long haul either way. However the intro goes along way to humanizing what many have perceived as a mega-corporation.

Austin welcome to the forum. looks like you will fit in fine here.
And I see several mutual interests.
I have been helping run this place for the past 5 years.
My "kid" he is 22 got me into air soft some and hope to get out this summer.
I grew up in a rural area on 23 acres and not a lot of money so DIY was the way of life and that has continued with the last 20 something years in a Hundred year old historic house.
as far as machining I had the luxury of being trained by uncle Sam . but the main thing in learning machining is the desire and willingness. It helps to have a lathe and some basic tools as well.
folks here have started with no knowledge except what was learned here.
Tin

Austin,

I'm also a huge DIYer. If I can do it myself, I will. With that in mind, I have a few sites I admin that I started after not finding the friendly reception to new members I thought was warranted online.
The number one affliction I see online is hostility towards beginners. We all had to start somewhere and I don't understand why those who know sometimes refuse to be of any assistance.

Is why I joined HMEM. From the first read here what I found was not people hoarding their knowledge like some treasure that they would lose if they shared it; instead, a group that seems to universally support and encourage those who know less than they.

I've been on forums where from time to time people complain about "lurkers", little thinking that the fear of being put down as ignorant is what keeps a lot of people from participating. This has been one of those places where a real beginner could find real support and real answers.

Your attitude looks like a good match for the one I have always found here.

(p.s. you really need a few more tools and a good supply of small pieces of metal. ;D

Welcome to HMEM Austin.

While I can appreciate your other hobby interests, I see some gaps.

No mention of home machine tools, RC helicopters, loud hand guns or
Saturday morning breakfast beer.

Wait a minute, the breakfast beer thing only relates to us professional machinists... ;)

Great to have you aboard Austin!!!

Rick

Austin,
While we have already exchanged a few messages this will formalize my welcome to HMEM. You do realize that we are all being nice to you for the first week, then we will get serious. :)

Don't worry about Rick's views on gaps in hobby activities. He is missing a few also. He also does not realize that the only proper way to start the day at a Gauge 1 live steam steamup is with a Guinness Float while raising steam.

Gail in NM

Hello Austin,
and a big thank you for making it possible that this forum continues.
I wish you the best of luck to keep the atmosphere of this place.

Cheers, Karsten

That may very well be true Rick, but the man is from *taxes* and EVERYBODY in taxes owns and/or carries a ridiculously large firearm and washes down their breakfast food with Lone Star. ;D The other stuff, well, I guess he just doesn't know what he is missing out on.:fan: TallyHO!

BC1
Jim

*note* emoticons still seem not to function

Last edited:
Lone Star is being replaced by Real Ale around here.

Hi Austin,

thanks for that final statement in the HMEM sold thread. Somehow I want to apology for joining in stirring the TOS thing up, but the discussion helped me to understand what is written.
Yet proving another time that lawyers are really good in writing stuff that nobody can really understand- and this is sometimes not really helpful. (and showing somehow that the compatibility of machinists/engineers and law-folks is limited... no offense here... ;))
So I'm definetly with you and the HMEM and will continue enjoying the ride.

Cheers, Karsten

Hi Austin and welcome. I to have DIY attitude. I grew up on a farm growing cotton, corn and potatoes. My father in his life owned a pair of mules and a tractor. I have two granddaughters and four grandsons. My interest in this forum is to learn and have been learning here from the day I joined. All the craftsmen here, to me have been a great help and unselfish in helping. I am here to stay and see how things progress. From my stand point, the whole idea behind this forum is to share our knowledge with others and none of us are in it for profits, other then expanding the knowledge of our hobby for ourselves and others interested.

Regards Don

Latest posts

Back