Howdy from Oregon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogogear

Reaction score
Hello , I'm Greg, I own a lathe, I can get a little better, everyday ,if I try, with a LOT of help from all of YOU :bow:

I have tip toed into the water- I am no machinist- But one of the really great members here did a very kind gesture for me elsewhere on the web, and machined an item for me and shipped it across the Atlantic to me - NO CHARGE..HE knows who he is and I still thank him for proving what a great place this world is. I do know a few of the members here..though they are not expecting me -So hello from MO.

Since then I have gotten a little braver and bought what many may think a very entry level lathe and tried to start making things for myself. At 51- your never too old to learn.. or young for that matter. I have met a fellow live steamer near me and have offered to share my tools. In the spirit of what what shared with me..

So - with a feeble mind and a old Unimat 1000( but with lots of tooling!!)-- Off into the wild blue pile of chips I go..

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the site.

What would the world be like if we didn't help each other out occasionally. In fact I think I did a bit in a post on it, and most probably helped someone else as well, so it wasn't all for yourself.

Just enjoy yourself

John

Hi Mo,

Welcome to the group. What part of Oregon are you in. I get out to the Eugene/Springfield area once or twice a year...beautiful country.

Regards.

Bill

Hey Mo! welcome to the world of people who help each other when thay need it and are even happy about it!!

It's quite a refreshing change ;D

We all started somewhere.... Me 2 years ago with a peatol (taig) lathe, now a bigger 9x20 lathe and a reasonable size mill' I'm still learning lots... An' boy is there a lot most of us don't know!!

Enjoy yourself, see you around ;D

Ralph.

howdy hey there mo. i lived in washington state for 12 years.
it is a great place to live.
what part of oregan are you from. have fun

Welcome welcome welcome. I also am a novice and this board is a great place for advice and help. All you have to do is ask!

Howdy Greg: Welcome to this forum. There are many very talented members here willing to help with questions and answers. I live in the south part of Portland (Milwaukie) and am interested in making model engines and tooling.
The N. W. GEARS show is August 30th--31st at the Kliever Armory at 10000 N. E. 33rd Drive, Portland OR 97211-1799. It is a great show and all kinds of machinery models there and some vendors also. If you can make it I am sure you will be more than glad you went and don't forget to take a camera so you can post some pictures here. (I will not be able to attend the show this year- darn!)
There is the Portland Model Engineering Club here in Portland, but I do not know much about them other than their web page which is not updated very often.
Good luck and keep posting with your interests and projects.
don

Well- you all seem to pass the friendly test, Thanks! I am in NE Portland and will develop questions .. but I will be kind of quiet as I read and absorb some of the tips and tricks posts and others....Once again my equipment is entry level, but sufficient to start.

A cheap-o Drill press- the Unimat - a Dremel for little things and a bench grinder...

Welcome aboard Mo!! Don't sweat the tools. I've seen some astounding work done with far less than you've got a the present time. Funny thing about tools... they tend to begat more tools which begat more tools which begat....LOL

Steve

Latest posts

Back