Howdy from Aus (QLD)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerd87

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Been a lurker on this site for some time now just browsing around, waiting for the day that I can get my own machine! Has been something I have wanted for a while. Interested in small model engine building as well as making parts for my RC cars and other model projects.

Just picked up a cheap second hand BV20-L lathe on Ebay not to far from me. Comes complete with 3 Jaw chuck, 4 Jaw Chuck, Face plate, Dead Centres, some carbide tooling, HSS tooling, Change gears, Jacobs drill chuck, Steady and Follow rest. I think thats about it. If anyone has any info on these lathes please let me know, They are not quite as popular as the small sieg lathes im finding.

Faceplate and 4 Jaw Chuck are in as new condition still partially wrapped up, The lathe itself has not had much use. Here are some pics of that lathe and accesories (these are not mine but the advertisement pics)

Im currently building a bench for the lathe to sit on and then I can start to get some cutting time in.

Happy little camper here now :D

Look forward to seeing you all around a bit more often ;D
Cheers,
John

lathe1.jpg

lathe2.jpg

lathe3.jpg

Hi John,
Looks like you've got a fistful of tools. Welcome and happy machining. Any ideas as to what you're going to make?

Cheers,
Phil

Hi John,
Looks like you've got a fistful of tools. Welcome and happy machining. Any ideas as to what you're going to make?

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil :)

First order of business is to machine up some pieces of stock for the press. Sick of using sockets and odd bits of undersize bar when pressing out bushes:wall:

Also wish to make a valve guide remover tool. Have an alloy head out the back need to do guides in :)

Hi and welcome to the forum who's members love to make noisy mechanical machines that make you smile!

A steam engine would be a good start to get acquainted to metal cutting, take a look at the plans section. If there isn't something you like there are enough plans on the internet to make your head swim! And if that's not enough to suit your fancy then modifying/designing your own will be sure to fix that!

All the best,
John.

G'day John all the way from the West

Welcome to the forum mate.
Lots of helpful info and tops here, also a great bunch of guys.

Love the profile pic, talk about flex to the limit.

Good luck with you'r model engineering journey and be sure to keep us in the loop.

Baz.Thm:

Last edited:
Welcome John, be sure to keep us posted with progress reports on setting up your workshop, as well as machining bits.

Paul.

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone! :)

Got the steel frame made up for the bench from 50x50mm SHS. My Dad works at a cabinet makers so has scored me a piece of 32mm MDF for the top. He has edged it with PVC edging amd used white laminex on the top.

The MDF has support rails running underneath it so I shouldn't have any issues with bending.

MDF is usually a pretty decently flat surface so im hoping shimming wont be too hard. Was going to use a monster piece of 15mm steel plate I habe here but it has a decent twist in it. Although the weight of the plate would be good (probably weighs in at 150kg)

G'day John and welcome to the forum from another Aussie (WA)

Hello Geurd87!
Welcome from Canberra. Looks like a lathe that is waiting for work! You have certainly acquired a good collection to go with it. Might I suggest that a quick change tool post would be a worthy investment in both sanity and time? I have ones on my lathes from Create Tool Company, Chins for my small lathe, and it makes it soooo much easier and user friendly.
Bill.
PS If you need email address please contact me - and no, my uncle doesn't run or own the Company. I have used them and found them excellent and great to do business with.
Bill.

Latest posts

Back